- 40 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 4.5 / person
- 246kcal per 100g.
How to make some cod meatballs.
I present you a fish recipe made with salted cod and that is typical of various cuisines in southern Spain, Aragon and the Valencian Community.
In Andalusia, cod meatballs are common in several provinces, in Cádiz they are usually served with clams, in Priego (Córdoba) they are usually prepared for Easter.
As they are richer they are in the form of a lid, either with their sauce or to take with the fingers, one by one as if they were pipes.
This type of preparation is perfect for children at home to eat fish without protest, they are very juicy, almost melt in the mouth. On other occasions I have presented you with salmon burgers , salmon and prawns or tasty mackerel , fish dishes that are a hit with children.
In addition, being easy to chew and digest, these meatballs are also highly recommended for elderly people and for those who suffer from digestive disorders.
You can even change the main ingredient for another type of fish and the result will be to the taste of each house.
A perfect recipe for a dinner, a meal or as a cover for a party with friends, you will tell me.
How to desalinate cod
- In this recipe we can use the crumbs, cuts of the cod or thicker pieces of cod, it is still a recipe for use. Depending on the type it is, it will take more or less time to desalt it.
- To desalt the cod, the fish have to be covered in plenty of water. Large pieces will desalt for 48 hours, with water change approximately every 6 hours.
- The finer parts will desalinate for 36 hours, with a water change every 8 hours. The remains and the crumbled cod are usually desalted first under the cold water tap for 10 minutes.
- Then leave them to soak for 3 hours with a change of water after 1 hour and a half, that is enough.
- While the fish is desalting it must remain at a temperature between 6º and 8º C in the refrigerator, since at room temperature it can ferment.
- If it happens to you, you will notice right away, it has happened to me before, the smell is … well, I don’t need to describe it.
- Furthermore, inside the fridge we avoid temperature variations, which accelerate or delay desalting.
Preparation of the base of these cod meatballs
- The first thing we must do is to break the cod into small pieces, it is best to do it with your hands.
- It is very simple, but for those who have not done it, it is never just about ripping the meat from the skin and the bones. In about 5 minutes you will have everything ready.
- With the remains, the large thorns and the skins, we are going to make a small broth that will be the secret of the recipe. It will add flavor to the sauce, you will see.
- In a saucepan we cook the bones and skin with water for about 15 minutes over high heat, let it rest and then strain to remove any unwanted remains.
- In a bowl we crumble the breadcrumb crumb and soak in milk, let it rest.
- We toss the crumbled cod into a large bowl where we will mix the ingredients. Add the minced garlic and parsley.
- We try salt and if necessary add a little, it depends on how we have previously desalted. Let it rest for a few minutes.
- Now add the well-drained sliced bread and the beaten egg to the mixture. We mix and check the consistency of our dough.
- We add breadcrumbs and pine nuts little by little, mixing until reaching a consistent dough that does not fall apart. Depending on the type of breadcrumb we use, we will have to add more or less.
Frying. Cooking and final presentation of the cod meatballs
- We put abundant extra virgin olive oil to heat in a saucepan.
- We make some balls of cod dough that are not very large. The most common is the golf ball size, so that they are perfectly made inside.
- We can help ourselves with 2 spoons, with practice you will do them in a few minutes without staining yourself. If you do not have the point caught, you can do them by hand.
- We passed them for a little beaten egg (the other that we had left) and wheat flour. Fry over high heat, round and round until golden.
- As we make them, we will place them on absorbent paper. We got about 25 meatballs, ideal for 4 people. Calculate that each person will eat about 6 meatballs.
- Chop the onion and poach it in the same oil for about 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Once it is done, add the meatballs to the casserole. Add the broth that we have made with the remains of the cod, until it reaches half of the meatballs.
- We let cook over medium heat for 15 minutes so that the sauce thickens. We turn the meatballs halfway through cooking.
You can see all the step by step photos of the cod meatballs recipe in this album. Do not miss any detail and they will be perfect.
Curiosities and advice for some delicious meatballs
- It is in the Valencian Community where this dish is most famous, known under the name of “ Mondonguilles of pollock ”. The irruption of cod in Valencian cuisine took place in the first third of the 16th century, when the Bank of Newfoundland was discovered.
- The region has always had a tradition of dry and salty fish, such as tuna, octopus, melva or sardines. Although due to its intense flavor, the “bacallá” or “pollock” triumphed in every home, especially during the fasts and abstinences of Easter.
- The elaboration of these meatballs in Levante differs a little from the ones I present today, since they are usually made there with potatoes, dried cod and pine nuts. I have tried them in Denia and they are delicious, they are pending to be published on the blog.
- We serve the meatballs very hot. Accompany this dish with some fried potatoes, another alternative is to make a white rice as a garnish. White rice is perfect to mix with the meatball sauce and without realizing it you have made a great dinner.
- They also do very well with pasta or some cooked potatoes or with a mashed potato , either way they will be yummy.
- We present on a nice plate, we help ourselves with a metal mold for the rice. And we accompany with the meatballs and a little chopped and fresh parsley to decorate. Do not hesitate to prepare them at home, the children will freak out.