- 12 sopes of corn
- 1 kg of pork
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 6 guajillo chili peppers hydrated
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 annatto cube
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- red onion filleted
- 2 habaneros
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 lemons
- Blend the guajillo chiles with the pineapple juice, garlic and achiote. Pour over the meat, season and add the bay leaf. Let it marinate for at least 1 hour, place in the express pot and cook over medium heat for 1 hour.
- Mix the red onion with the oregano and sliced habanero pepper, squeeze the juice from the lemons and a little salt.
- Serve the suckling pig in the sopes and finish with the cheese and onion.
Our recommendation of the day: Cochinita pibil recipe with sopes, ideal for a family breakfast during the weekend. Young and old will love this great menu. And do you fancy it? Read on and learn a little about this typical dish.
3 IMPORTANT THINGS THAT EVERY LOVER OF COCHINITA PIBIL HAS TO KNOW
- This dish is originally from the state of Yucatán. Its key ingredients are pork and achiote.
- It arises in pre-Hispanic times where it used to be cooked on November 2 during the meal of the souls or “Hanal Pixan”.
- Before colonial times, venison, peccary, pheasant or wild turkey meat was used to prepare cochinita pibil.
Don’t forget to share this delicious recipe with your mom or best friend so they can also learn how to cook this traditional dish. Also, do not forget to write us in the comments how it turned out. Enjoy!