- 30 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.5 € / person
Do you want to have a fun time with your children? Do you want to surprise some friends with a gift or a special snack? Well, we are going to prepare Chocolate Cookies or Chocolate Crunch Cookies .
Its origin came in the 1930s, from the hand of Ruth Graves Wakefield who, accidentally, because he did not have chocolate powder, incorporated chocolate chips into his cookies. In 1936 he published a recipe book ” Toll House Tried and True Recipes ” which included the original recipe for the cookies that I am going to prepare today.
The original recipe did not include oat flakes , but I always incorporate it because of the contribution of flavor and texture that it gives the cookie. I love it, but you can do without this ingredient if you don’t like it.
In any case, I advise you to try cooking them with oatmeal, at least once, I am sure you will be surprised by the magnificent flavor it gives the cookie. As my mother says, “until you try it you can’t know if you like it or not”!
As for the nuts you can buy them ground or, as I do, take them simply peeled and crush them with the mortar at home. Children love to mix and crush ingredients.
Finally, it is very important that when placing the portions on the baking sheet, you leave enough space between them. When the cookie begins to bake and take its final shape, it expands and, if there is not enough space, it can be pasted with the cookie next to it.
Not that it is a catastrophe, because once cold you could take them off carefully, but they would lose the round and characteristic shape of this very special sweet. With that said, I get down to business. You will see how easy and fast they are prepared … and even faster they are eaten!
Preparation of chocolate cookies
- Firstly, mix the butter at room temperature with the brown sugar and white sugar until all the ingredients are well integrated.
- Add the egg and the vanilla essence (or vanilla sugar) to the previous mixture. We will get a kind of cream.
- Now we are going to gradually incorporate the remaining ingredients into the previous mixture. Flour first and mix. Then the oats, the yeast, the salt and a pinch of bicarbonate, and mix. Finally, add the walnut, previously crushed, and mix. We will have a very thick and compact dough. Once all the ingredients are integrated and mixed, add the chocolate chips (dark or milk, whichever you have chosen) and mix well, so that they are incorporated throughout the mass.
- We put the oven at 180 ° C, with heat up and down. Let it warm up.
- In a baking tray we put vegetable paper. With a spoon or by hand, we will make small balls and we will leave them in the oven, with enough separation between them, so that when they expand in the baking process, they do not stick.
- We put them in the oven for about 9 minutes, if you want them more tender; and if you want them crispier, leave them for 12 minutes.
- Although they seem to you that they are undercooked, you have to let them cool for a few minutes so that they acquire their final texture.
A very original detail to take to a snack with friends or to the home of your children’s friends.