- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 3 / person
- 312kcal per 100g.
How to prepare chickpeas with prawns. I present you a recipe for legumes with seafood that at home we have adapted a little to our liking.
A dish that allows many modifications for everyone to prepare as they please. A stew of Cadiz origin, its famous chickpeas with prawns , a seafood dish that goes well at any date of the year.
In Cádiz, with 40 ° in the shade, I ate this spectacular stew for the first time. Far from surrendering to the heat, I finished the plate and I think I would have eaten one more. A show of flavors and tradition, which according to the restaurant where you take it, you will find quite innovative and different versions, keeping all the base of chickpea and shrimp.
A recipe that will undoubtedly surprise the whole family. A way to drink this delicious legume that we almost always eat in stews and stews. At home, it rivals hand to hand with some seafood beans or potatoes with clams .
An excellent recipe for any time of year to eat legumes and vegetables that can be prepared and combined in infinite ways. I invite you to try them at home, I am sure they will become one of the dishes that triumph in your repertoire.
Preparation of chickpeas with prawns
- We wash, peel and dice the peppers, zucchini, onion and tomato.
- In a low casserole or a large frying pan with a good bottom, we are going to poach the onion, the peppers and the zucchini first and then add the chopped tomato so that all the ingredients are cooked together over medium heat.
- Peel the prawns and reserve the meat.
- We prepare the fumet or shrimp broth . We put the heads and shells in a saucepan and add water to cover and two more fingers.
- Add a dash of virgin olive oil and press the shells with a fork to release all the liquid and give the fumet more flavor. The “head” is the pereion, the “tail” is the pleon, the “hoof” is the telson and the “venita” is the intestine, technical names of the shrimp for what I have mentioned before.
- We let it cook over medium heat for 20 minutes. After time we strain them and press the heads and shells again to finish removing all the juice. We reserve the broth.
- When the vegetables are poached, add the homemade tomato sauce.
- Stir well so that the ingredients are integrated and leave to cook over medium heat for 7 – 8 minutes.
Final preparation and presentation of chickpeas with prawns
- We wash the chickpeas and drain them in the strainer. We add them to the sauce and let them cook with the rest of the ingredients for 7 – 8 minutes. If they are very dry, add a little more tomato sauce.
- If you want to add white wine, this would be the moment, let the wine consume for a couple of minutes.
- Add the shrimp fumet and let it integrate well for 5 minutes. If you want it to be broth, take it out soon so that the fumet is not consumed. But if you like it drier, let the fumet consume slightly, until the texture is to your liking.
- Finally, we add the prawns. We mix them with the stew leaving them to cook with the fire extinguished, it will be enough a little of the residual heat so that these are ready.
- We remove from the fire and serve immediately.
A full-fledged chickpea stew with prawns, perfect for any time of year. Do you dare to try it? The recipe is very simple and it cannot be richer. Get a good wine and enjoy good food, take advantage!
Tips and advice for some chickpeas with yummy prawns
- If you do not have tomato sauce prepared you can add the crushed tomato (as indicated in step 5) and then add a tablespoon of sugar. Stir well and let it sit (6 or 7 minutes).
- In the ingredients I talk about ½ glass of white wine (optional). When I leave this stew drier, I add a little white wine to it. I love the flavor it gives the chickpea. But if I’m going to leave it stocky, I don’t usually use it, because I like that the shrimp fumet keeps all its flavor in the spoon.
- The best thing about my preparation is that depending on the season of the year you can make it more stocky, getting closer to the stew texture or, a little drier, to be able to eat it in summer and continue enjoying the magnificent properties that all its ingredients provide us.
- This time I have allowed the fish fumet to be consumed a little more . But if you are more of broth, it is as easy as removing the casserole from the fire before it reduces.
- A very clever idea for those who prepare a party or event at home is to buy appetizer spoons and fill them with the chickpea and prawn stew. For this I do advise you to leave it a little dry, so you will avoid mishaps with the broth. Cut the prawns into cubes so that each spoon has a portion. A different and super creative cover, what do you think?
I encourage you to try making this recipe from Cádiz at home, a guaranteed victory. You can see all the step by step photos of these chickpeas with prawns in this album.