- 90 minutes
- For 8 people
- 2.6 € / person
- 305kcal per 100g.
How to make a rice with rabbit and chicken .
I present you a very traditional rice recipe in Valencia and surroundings, rice with rabbit and chicken, very similar to the Valencian paella but with other touches.
That is why we have not put paella, but ” rice with “, a definition that must be respected if we are talking about such a traditional dish in Valencia and throughout Spain.
After a few weekends full of recipes with rice and with Valencian guests (who did not stop contradicting each other on the subject of paella) I think we have achieved a rice with rabbit and chicken that satisfies the most traditional.
The rice used to be added round and from the area, usually bomba rice, so I recommend a quality rice , a La Fallera bomba rice for example. Although if there is little budget it is worth a SOS round rice.
If you want to make your contribution, leave your comment that will be very well received.
I hope you dare to do it with the family and enjoy the rice with greater words.
Before starting with the rice
- It is essential to have the paella ready and if possible with several uses (it helps that the rice does not stick).
- Size is important, allowing rice to cook evenly across its surface.
- This is the first major problem that arises when trying to make the dish at home. To make it look good, the amount of rice should not be much more than a finger thick, so to make, for example, a paella for six people, we will need a container of around half a meter in diameter.
- In the absence of firewood and fire with orange wood, we will need a good gas burner or temperature diffuser so that it reaches the total surface of the paella.
Preparation of the fried rice base with rabbit and chicken
- Let’s start with a good sofrito, the base of our rice with rabbit and chicken.
- The first thing is to cut all the ingredients into pieces. The chicken and the rabbit as for a stew (you can ask the butcher to prepare it), the green beans without strands and in pieces of two or three centimeters.
- Artichokes are very clean and halved or quarter depending on their size. Fry the chicken, the rabbit, the beans, the carafe and the artichokes in abundant extra virgin olive oil.
- We add a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil to the paella but without overdoing it. I usually measure by tablespoons, in this case 10, but it all depends on the size of the paella. In this case for 8 people.
- When the pieces of meat are well browned season well and add the sweet paprika from La Vera. The rabbit and chicken pieces should be well browned, being careful not to burn them. Right after we add the crushed tomato and let the sauce soften well.
- Add the water. It is better to be short than overdoing because we can always add a little more water if we see that the rice is too dry and has not been done yet. The proportions depend a lot on the fire, the heat, the humidity and the diameter of the paella.
- We need three times the volume of water than rice. Although it is the experience that will make you adjust and perfect these quantities.
Preparation of rice with rabbit and chicken
- We cook the broth for 25 or 30 minutes. It is a good time to add the saffron. We must try the broth to know if it is tasty enough and be able to correct it.
- We do not want it to be bland, so it is essential that the broth is tested by at least 2 people so that there is consensus on this issue.
- We add the rice diagonally and cross-shaped as you see in the photos. We distribute the rice evenly throughout the paella.
- We cook between 18 to 20 minutes, although here time marks the grain of rice again and the power of the fire, which we must allow to be consumed.
- It has to be completely dry and loose.
- You can have a saucepan with boiling water next to it, in case you have to add water.
- Halfway through cooking we can also put some sprigs of rosemary, which we will remove before serving.
Socarrat and rice tasting with rabbit and chicken
- A good rice in paella must have socarrat . The best way to do this easily without burning the rice is when you are finishing cooking the rice.
- It is to make small holes with the ends of a spoon and add a little extra virgin olive oil in them.
- Turn the burner heat up to maximum for one minute and toast the rice. We turn off the heat and let the paella rest.
- Let it rest for a few minutes covered with a large cotton cloth. With about 5-8 minutes off the heat it will be enough to achieve a yummy result.
You can see all the photos of the step by step of this recipe for rice with rabbit and chicken . Follow the directions and you will have a delicious rice.
Curiosities about this rice
- This rice, as José has told me, has its history in the Valencian garden. When a family killed a chicken, they made it a chicken, and the same thing happened with the rabbit, but only the very rich had disposition of both products simultaneously. Now this has changed, something we have prospered since yesteryear.
- The use of the garrofón or flat bean, as well as the snails, is traditional throughout the province of Valencia.
- In Alicante, in some area of the coast, red shrimp, cuttlefish or mussels are often added (along with chicken and rabbit), it would be something similar to mixed paella . Although not traditionally, it has stayed more for the tourist in many restaurants in the area. Chickpeas and artichokes can also be used in some regions of Alicante.