- 50 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.8 € / person
- 230kcal per 100g.
How to make baked or roasted sweet potatoes.
When it comes to side dishes, it looks like roasted or fried potatoes , mashed potatoes , white rice, or mixed salad take the picture of most dishes, but there is life beyond these alternatives.
Which is not that we don’t like them at all. In fact, we love them, however we like to vary and we like to suggest new ideas for you to try at home.
A way to add a touch of originality to your main dishes. In this we are with these baked or roasted sweet potatoes that are a great garnish , especially for meat or fish dishes that feel a sweet little dot great.
Normally we find the sweet potato as an ingredient in several desserts of Autumn , the blog can enjoy sweet potatoes in the form of donuts , of cheesecake or sweet potato pie and cinnamon . All delicious.
But as an accompaniment or to give your wines that delicious touch, it also amazes us. This recipe is tremendously simple, the sweet potatoes are peeled and cut into sticks, bathed in a mixture of oiled herbs and spices and roasted in the oven, easy, right?
As you can imagine from the description, the thing could not be easier. In addition, the working time required by us is minimal since, once in the oven, we forget about the sweet potatoes until they are ready to serve. Well, almost, because in the middle of the process you have to turn them, but that’s peccata minuta, isn’t it?
As if the above were not enough to encourage you to prepare these baked sweet potatoes, we will tell you that they are a light and healthy garnish . The amount of oil used is minimal, although that does not affect its taste or texture.
Preparation of sweet potatoes
- We cover a baking tray with vegetable paper, lifting the sides so that the juice that the sweet potatoes can release in the oven does not come out and dirty the tray.
- In a deep and wide container, mix the herbs and spices, add the oil and stir well.
- We peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into discs of the same thickness (or as similar as possible). Then we cut each disc into sticks.
- We put the cut sweet potato in the container with the seasonings and stir well so that each and every stick is soaked on all sides.
- Here it is best to use your hands and stir from bottom to top several times or cover the container with a plate or lid and shake for a few seconds.
Baked sweet potatoes and final presentation
- We preheat the oven to 200º C with heat up and down, traditional heat. We can use the air function, but lowering the temperature to 180º C.
- We place the sweet potato sticks on the oven tray, well spread and without mounting on each other.
- Put the tray in the oven, halfway up, and roast them for 20 minutes.
- Turn the sweet potato sticks one by one and put the tray back in the oven to roast another 20 minutes or until they begin to brown.
- Once they are to our liking, we remove the tray from the oven, serve immediately with our favorite main course and enjoy!
The sweet potatoes are tender on the inside and crispy on the outside, like a fry, but without going through the pan. The herbs and spices that we have used can be varied to taste or according to what you have in the kitchen.
You can see all the step by step photos of the recipe for roasted or baked sweet potatoes in this album.
Tips for perfect baked or roasted sweet potatoes
- As they are richer they are hot and freshly made, slightly tempered. You can prepare and bake them half the time indicated. Then, when you are ready for the meal, you finish roasting them and you’re done.
- The time that we indicate is the one that we have needed for the thickness of our sweet potato sticks, keep in mind that if you cut them thinner you will need to shorten it and if, on the contrary, you cut them thicker, you will need to leave them longer.
- Cutting all the sticks of the same size is key so that, during roasting in the oven, they are cooked evenly. It is helpful to have a mandolin for this, but if you don’t have one at home you can always cut them with a sharp knife and be very careful.
- In case of not getting some sticks homogeneous in size and thickness, we recommend grouping those that are smaller on the cookie sheet to remove them before the rest. In this way they will not go over cooking.
- The spices can be changed to taste or use the ones we have at home. You don’t need to buy the ones we propose just for this recipe. In fact, there are combinations that work very well, it’s a matter of trying and coming up with ours.