- 40 minutes
- For 6 people
- € 0.15 / person
- 325kcal per 100g.
Funnel Cakes . Today I propose you one of those spectacular dessert recipes , an American dessert with European roots, funnel cakes or funnelcakes .
The literal translation of its name means funnel cake , and a funnel is used to pour it into the hot oil.
It seems that this sweet was originally associated with Dutch emigrants from Pennsylvania who started serving them at the folk festival that the state celebrates every year in Kutztown since 1950.
They prepared these fried in street stalls, made from a dough of batter without yeast, which they introduced into the pan through a funnel, hence its name.
Today it is one of the country’s popular sweets, basic to all kinds of sporting events, parties or attractions.
The ingredients used are basic, milk, eggs, flour and sugar, which are combined and fried in abundant oil to finish covered in sugar. The resulting dough is between the American pancakes and our churros, with an intermediate texture.
This American version of our classic churros is very easy to prepare and fun to eat.
We will be left with a sweet dough covered in sugar, super crispy and with a lot of flavor. Perfect to accompany with a hot chocolate to the cup .
Preparation of the mini churros. Funnel cakes
- In a bowl we mix the flour, salt and sugar. We remove with a fork so that the dry ingredients are integrated.
- We incorporate the liquid ingredients, the egg, the milk, the vanilla extract and the sunflower oil.
- Beat with a few rods until the mixture is homogeneous and without lumps.
- We put the cream in a kitchen bottle to be able to incorporate the fine lines into the pan. If we do not have a bottle we can use a funnel or a pastry bag to create the thread that will be added to the frying pan.
- In a frying pan or saucepan, heat 1 finger of soft oil for frying. For this type of fried desserts, I usually use sunflower oil as it does not add flavor to the final result.
- It is advisable not to add much more oil than indicated. Since the strips of dough, when adding them to the oil, will gradually rest on the bottom. I assure you that the dough will be much easier to handle if the pan has little oil.
- With the bottle we pour a portion of dough until we make a lattice or grill.
- Fry at not too high a temperature on both sides for a few minutes and remove to a plate with absorbent paper.
We serve the funnel cakes sprinkled with ground sugar or icing sugar.
They are crispy and very tasty, perfect for a party breakfast, dessert or a yummy snack.
I warn you that they are a vice, to start and not stop.
You can see in this step by step how to prepare this recipe for funnel cakes , I am sure you will prepare them on many occasions.