- 75 minutes
- For 6 people
- € 2 / person
How to prepare a vegetable cake . One of the most widespread urban legends in the kitchen world is that vegetables are boring. Perhaps it is influenced by the fact that since childhood we have associated them with bland and discolored dishes, where they almost never have the leading role.
But it doesn’t have to be this way, and a good example is this vegetable pie . A festival of colors and flavors that mix in a fantasy dish that will delight everyone for fun and tasty. Baking and mixing eggs and cream give this vegetable recipe the consistency necessary to make it almost a main dish.
Vegetables, as varied as we want, will be the true protagonists. To adapt the cake to our fridge, simply replace the ones we have chosen today with any other. Respecting that the final quantity, added all of them, is approximately half a kilo for the quantity of eggs and cream indicated. From there, the limit is only set by our imagination.
Vegetable Pie Preparation
- We clean and chop the carrots. We put them in a pot with water and salt and let them cook for ten minutes from the boil or until we see that they are soft.
- Chop the onion, removing the outer layer, and put it over low heat in a pan with a jet of oil.
- We clean the leek, making sure we remove the dirt that accumulates at the base of each leaf. Chop and add to the pan where the onion is poached.
- We carefully clean the mushrooms. Chop them too and add them to the pan. We remove from time to time so that all the vegetables cook evenly.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and add the cream. We beat well and season to taste.
- We incorporate in this bowl the vegetables. On the one hand the drained carrots and on the other hand those that we have poached in the pan.
- We grease a mold with oil – unless it is silicone, in which case it is not necessary. We carefully turn the contents of the bowl.
- We introduce in the oven at 160 degrees for about 40 minutes or until a knife is inserted into the cake and it comes out clean.
- Let cool outside the oven. When it is warm we remove from the mold.
- We serve accompanied by our favorite sauce: mayonnaise, ratatouille, tomato sauce …
Of course, this recipe is extremely versatile. We can incorporate any type of vegetable that comes to mind. Peppers, zucchini, peas, beans, asparagus or any other that is in season.
It is enough to previously cook them in the most appropriate way. We must cook the peas, the asparagus or the beans and poach the chopped zucchini or the peppers in the pan. If we don’t have much time we can do it much faster using canned items. Take advantage!