- 45 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 375kcal per 100g.
How to make xuxos with milk bread
The Xuxo is a sweet typical of Girona to which it is also known for mongrel, Suso or susu .
Legend has it that they are the creation of a French refugee, a pastry chef by profession, who was welcomed in Gerona at the beginning of the 20th century.
Although reminiscent of the creamy custard , the xuxo dough is a puff pastry like the croissant that is stretched thin, filled with custard and rolled up and then fried in abundant oil.
The original preparation has its that and is not what we bring today. When time is short or you do not have the necessary skills to make the canonical recipe, you can always resort to using milk bread and marking them with super easy xuxos .
Yes, we already know that they are not the authentic ones and we do not intend to give cat for hare. However, they are a more than worthy solution for a moment of whim.
Some people, in their quest to save as much time as possible, use sachets of custard or custard as a substitute for custard .
But that’s because they don’t know how to make pastry cream expressly , in the microwave, which in five minutes guarantees us a homemade pastry cream that is delicious. And much better than the alternatives mentioned.
If we prepare the cream in advance and have it cold, the rest of the process is very fast and in a matter of half an hour they are ready.
A temptation in all the rule and a way more than a sweet tooth to start the day, if we make them for breakfast, or to brighten up the afternoon, if they are served as a snack.
Preparation of the express pastry cream
- The first thing is to prepare the pastry cream, which will need to be cold to fill the milk breads or, at least, tempered.
- We can do it in a traditional way, in a bain-marie and over low heat, but we have opted for the express option and the microwave .
- With this recipe it always works well, it is not cut and it takes less than ten minutes. All advantages.
- In a deep, microwave-safe container, mix one of the eggs, milk, cornmeal, sugar and vanilla essence.
- We can stir well with a few rods until there are no lumps or beat with a hand mixer. The latter is much more practical and effective.
- We put the container in the microwave and program three minutes at maximum power (ours has 800W).
- We remove the container from the microwave, being careful not to burn ourselves.
- We remove with metal rods to homogenize the cream that will have started to thicken around the edges.
- We introduce again in the microwave and program two minutes at maximum power.
- We remove from the microwave, stir again and let cool. So that it does not form a crust on the surface, we can cover with transparent paper touching the cream.
- When the cream is cold, we fill it with a pastry bag in which we will have placed a nozzle to fill (elongated and fine).
Preparation of xuxos with perfect milk bread
- The next thing is to take each of the milk loaves and make a hole along it, removing part of the crumb and making room for the pastry cream.
- We can use a sharp knife, insert it at one end and rotate as we press and insert it. Be careful not to break the bread.
- We fill each milk pan with the pastry cream, closing the hole well so that it does not come out.
- We beat the egg that we have reserved and bathe in each milk pan.
- Heat abundant oil in a frying pan and fry the milk loaves until golden, turning so that they are made everywhere.
- Remove from the oil draining well and move to a plate with absorbent paper for a couple of minutes.
- When they are still hot, we coat them in sugar and ready to serve.
You can see all the step by step photos of the recipe for easy xuxos with milk bread in this album. Do not miss any detail and you will get some xuxos that will succeed between young and old at home.
Tips for perfect milk bread juices
- These xuxos are kept many days well covered in an airtight container, although it is advisable to consume them in a maximum of 24 hours because they contain pastry cream. If not, store in the fridge.
- The homemade pastry cream can be replaced by an envelope prepared for custard or flan, although the result is not the same.
- With the indicated amounts for the pastry cream there is more than enough to fill four milk breads.
- Do not throw away the rest, you can use it to fill some short tartlets with shortcrust pastry and decorate with fresh fruit, for some choux pastry sandwiches or to spread on layers of sponge cake and improvise a tart. You can also double the number of milk loaves.