- 15 minutes
- For 8 people
- 0.5 € / person
- 205kcal per 100g.
How to make a strawberry shortcake with yogurt .
This is one of those super easy dessert recipes , of which you have no excuses not to prepare at home and on top without an oven.
A cake to succeed at any party, everyone will want to repeat.
We are in strawberry season and it is one of my favorite fruits, so I thought about making another dessert similar in flavor to the strawberry cake that I already have on the blog but with a different texture.
I didn’t have much time to prepare it either so I have fused two recipes, the strawberries and yogurt with the lemon tart .
The result … a strawberry cake that barely lasted 10 minutes on the table. And no wonder, imagine a delicious, fluffy piece of cake, almost like a mousse but without the calories.
This is a dessert for people “with a kitchen allergy” , easy and quite fast. On the blog you will also find other strawberry tarts, such as this puff pastry with pastry cream and strawberries or strawberry tart without oven .
It is also a very cheap dessert because we are going to use seasonal fruit, but you can change them for the one you like the most, I am thinking of a future mango cake with honey and figs… if you need ideas, you can browse the seasonal calendar .
Remember that strawberries must be good and tasty, not one that doesn’t taste like anything.
This fruit is the first to ripen in spring and I love them with spices, in addition to the established sugar, although I also recommend that you take them alone as they are very beneficial to health. There is no excuse, you have to prepare it yes or yes.
Preparation of the biscuit base
- We spread a very thin layer of butter in the mold. We melt the rest of the butter using the microwave, so it is faster. With the mincer we crush the cookies.
- If you did not have a grinder, in a kitchen cloth we throw the cookies, wrap and crush them with a spoon or something heavy, it is not so fine but it serves the same, it should look like breadcrumbs.
- We mix the melted butter with the sugar and the cinnamon with some manual sticks or a mixer.
- We add everything on top of the crushed cookies, distribute and distribute on the base of a removable mold.
- Press against the bottom with the help of a spoon or with your fingers. And we put it in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
Preparation of strawberry cream step by step
- We must choose those strawberries that are ripe and that provide flavor.
- We wash the fruit very well to remove possible traces of sulfates or dirt and cut into small pieces or sheets.
- We chose a large bowl to mix the strawberries with a teaspoon of cinnamon dessert and a pinch of cardamom.
- We open the vanilla bean and remove the seeds, add everything to the chosen container.
- If you do not dare with any of these spices, simple, do not add them. We mix everything very well so that the flavors come together.
- We choose the Greek yogurt that you like the most, if it is already sweetened it is not necessary to add sugar in the previous step. We beat everything until it is like a strawberry smoothie.
- In a container with water of the time we incorporate the gelatin sheets for 3 minutes.
- You will see how they hydrate immediately. If you use neutral gelatin powder it also needs some hydration (in the tips at the end I explain it to you).
- Now comes the most important step, we put the whole milk and the gelatin in a saucepan while stirring with some rods. Do not do it with a mixer because you can create bubbles that do not interest you (I say this from experience).
- We boil 2 minutes, remove from the heat and add to the strawberry smoothie and with the same rods and by hand we combine until there is a homogeneous and creamy mixture.
- The gelatin will help us give consistency and that it does not drop when it cools, but at the same time we want it to be spongy.
- Once we have the cream ready we add it little by little on the base of cookies that is cold.
- We put it in the fridge carefully for several hours until all the cream is firm.
Preparation and assembly of the cover
- If you have jam already made much better. I used to make a blackberry one in the summer that was delicious but this time I have used a mixture of jam from berries and strawberries. The 2 very rich, choose the one you like the most.
- We put in a saucepan the jam or jam and 5 tablespoons of water. We heat gently until a syrup forms.
- Remove from the heat and add the gelatin, stir with a stick to join the jam.
- Once it thickens, we add it to the same container where the strawberry cake is already cold.
- We pour the syrup homogeneously (as it is liquid it is quite easy). And again in the fridge for half an hour, it must be very cold for your tasting, yummy, come on!
I assure you that it is a fantastic cake that will give for about 8-10 people, a quick and very cheap dessert: 0.5 euros a serving.
I encourage you to prepare it at home, a simple recipe that is explained step by step and with video, it is impossible that it does not go well. You can see in this step by step how to prepare this strawberry cake .
Recommendations with gelatin. Powder and sheets
- The gelatin leaves should be soaked in cold water for 3 minutes. The leaves do not dissolve, but they soften and hydrate. After this time, you have to take them with your hands and squeeze them gently. Then proceed as indicated in the recipe, generally adding it to a hot liquid and stirring for complete dissolution.
- Gelatin powder. We pour 4 tablespoons of cold water in a bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin powder in the water. We do not stir because lumps can come out. Let it rest for about 3 minutes. Then we proceed as indicated in the recipe, generally adding it to a hot liquid and stirring for complete dissolution
- Equivalences between neutral powdered gelatin and gelatin sheets. I have not found an exact equivalence since each manufacturer has its measurements and thickening power. It is best to read the instructions on each container.
- You can also use neutral gelatin powder for this cake. A Royal brand neutral gelatin powder sachet has 10 grams and is intended for use with 500 ml of liquid.
- The gelatin sheets I usually use come in bags of 9 units. You may need some more depending on the size of the gelatin sheet depending on the brand you use.