- 25 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 0.9 / person
- 198kcal per 100g.
How to prepare potatoes with salsa brava . The recipe for fried potatoes that I usually prepare at home is that of my mother-in-law Pilar, where the sauce is very important.
The essence of this apparently simple dish is the combination of crispy potatoes on the outside and creamy on the inside. A delicious and spicy sauce, although not in excess. It stings but it stings rich, as Mexicans would say. The fundamental thing is to do all the steps of the recipe well so that some papas bravas of yummy come out.
Some prawns with garlic, Russian salad , croquettes , tripe in Madrid , some delicious pavia soldiers , grandmother Pilar’s traditional pickled anchovies, anchovies or potato omelette … are part of my favorite tapas. Fundamental when I tapas in Madrid.
Between cover and portion, a very cold beer to accompany or a wine, for me, a moment of happiness. I try to make all these types of recipes appear on the blog, as a fundamental part of our gastronomy. Ideal as a starter of a good meal and as a cover to take with friends, will you tell me if you liked them! Savory potato chips. I encourage you to prepare it at home.
Preparation of potatoes
- Peel the potatoes, wash them, drain and dry well with a cotton cloth or paper.
- We cut them roughly, into bite-sized cubes, roughly into cubes about 6 cm thick.
- We put a large saucepan and pour with abundant extra virgin olive oil, more or less over half the capacity of the saucepan.
- Add the potatoes in the cold oil and let it heat over medium temperature. We lower the heat to a minimum and we are going to confit them in the oil very slowly for 15 minutes.
- When they are tender we remove them from the saucepan with a drainer and put them in the fridge to cool down quickly.
- While we have the potatoes in the fridge we go with the sauce.
Preparation of the brava sauce
- We cut an onion into very small squares , and pour it into a saucepan. It is worth the same saucepan where we have confit the potatoes, with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Finely chop the garlic cloves and fry with the onion at medium temperature until transparent. Add the cayenne and stir well.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add a generous tablespoon of spicy La Vera paprika and saffron.
- We remove so that it mixes well with the rest of the ingredients, always out of the fire so that the paprika does not burn.
- We pour the content of the peeled natural tomatoes, peeled and all the water that the pot brings.
- We break the tomato with a spoon or a spatula until it is undone. We add a teaspoon of sugar to correct the acidity of the tomato and salt to taste.
- We put the fire back to medium temperature and cook it for 5 minutes, without stirring.
- Add the coloring and cook another 10 minutes more. At the end of cooking we pour a jet of sherry vinegar and stir everything.
- I remove the cayenne peppers before running everything through the mixer, but that is optional and depends on what you like the spice. Remove from the heat and grind with an electric mixer. We reserve.
Frying and final presentation of fried potatoes
- We take the potatoes out of the fridge and put a pan with plenty of extra virgin olive oil on the fire.
- When the oil is very hot, add the potatoes and fry for about 10 minutes or until golden. They will be golden and crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside.
- We remove them from the pan and put them on a plate with absorbent paper to remove excess oil. We put them on a nice plate and water them with the brava sauce.
I encourage you to visit more recipes for tapas, snacks and pinchos perfect for a light dinner, a party or just because.
Tips for some chubby potato chips
- The most important thing in this recipe is the quality of the potatoes you use. I recommend that they are special for frying and if possible it is from a batch of old potato. It has less water with what is more crisp than the new ones.
- It will also be necessary to talk about salsa brava , you know that there are many types of spicy sauces with which potatoes are seasoned, one per house. This is from my mother-in-law Pilar but you can vary it to the liking of your guests.
- As a final and optional tip, I explain that some people like it thicker. The thickness we want the sauce to be is given with a glass of liquid (usually a poultry stock) and a little flour until it reaches the desired consistency.
- If you want it to be thicker. We dilute a tablespoon of cornmeal in a glass of hot broth. And finally we add to the sauce when it has to cook for 10 minutes, we increase the broth if it is too thick.
- If you do not like spicy this is not your recipe, substitute the salsa brava for mayonnaise or for your favorite sauce. You can follow the process of the potatoes to the letter.
- If you are anxious and you do not last the Patatas Bravas as is my case. It is better to accompany with some bread to lower the spiciness. If you give the beer very cold, what you will get is a little binge … I say this from experience. This cover must be accompanied with enough liquid because the sauce itches, I assure you.
- In some places they usually incorporate the mixed option. For all tastes, brava sauce and mayonnaise sauce or a good aioli or ajoaceite to accompany the potatoes, they are also very rich.