- 40 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 302kcal per 100g.
How to make Scottish eggs .
Many times it is the internet that inspires me when I start cooking.
Today I have prepared a recipe that I did not know, some Scottish eggs or Scottish eggs .
This recipe consists of a cooked and shelled egg that is covered with sausage meat, alone or seasoned , and coated to finish fried in abundant oil.
They are usually served as a picnic dish, always cold, or as part of a brunch with the famous French toast , pancakes or pancakes and eggs benedictine .
As an accompaniment always a salad and some sauce based on pickles or cooked vegetables. In any case we can also take them hot, accompanied with a sauce, in my opinion the barbecue would be perfect.
It is a recipe that requires some expertise when it comes to lining the egg with the meat, but with some simple tricks that I will tell you in the step by step, you will not have any type of problem.
Cooking the eggs and preparing the meat.
- We boiled the eggs in a saucepan with water for 8 minutes, depending on the size of the egg. After this time we pass them in cold water and let them cool.
- Once cold, peel them and reserve them.
- We remove the meat from the sausages inside the casing and we incorporate it in a bowl.
- Add the oregano, the nutmeg, salt, black pepper and the mustard.
- Mix well with a fork until all the meat of the sausages has been impregnated with the spice mixture.
- We divide the dough into 4 portions and form balls.
- We prepare 3 bowls, one with flour, one with the beaten egg and the third with breadcrumbs.
Preparation of Scottish eggs
- The first thing we do in flouring our hands, so we can work the dough more easily and prevent the meat from sticking to our hands.
- We take one of the meat balls and shape it into a bowl on the palm of the hand.
- We flour the cooked egg and place it on the meat bowl that we have on the hand.
- Carefully and slowly we close the meat over the entire surface of the cooked egg until the white is no longer visible anywhere.
Battering, frying and final presentation of Scottish eggs
- We flour the ball we have just created and shape it. Now we pass the ball through beaten egg and breadcrumbs.
- We will repeat the operation of going through the egg and the breadcrumbs. This will give us a more consistent and crispier outer crust.
- We reserve the Scottish egg until we have all the balls prepared.
- In a deep frying pan or in a deep fryer, heat plenty of oil to fry.
- Add the eggs and fry at medium high temperature for 4 minutes on each side.
- We remove to a plate with absorbent paper to try to remove the excess oil.
- It can happen that with only these 4 minutes the inner meat of the sausage is not fully cooked. So I recommend you finish the process with 10 minutes of oven at 190º C.
With this original aperitif I am sure you will surprise those at home.
I encourage you to visit more recipes for tapas, snacks and pinchos perfect for an unforgettable evening with yours.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.
Tips for some Scottish fluffy eggs
- As a secret of its success it is essential to have quality meat, the flavor and texture are perfectly appreciated, so it is not worth gambling on.
- We can take them as a dish if we accompany them with barbecue sauce and a salad of lamb’s lettuce or arugula with tomato and olive oil.
- The fact is that I was struck by how some Scottish eggs or Scotch Eggs are a typical English dish, with nothing in common with the region that bears its name.
- It seems that the inventors of this dish were the owners of Fortnum & Mason, London’s iconic high-quality food store, which opened in 1707.
- This establishment owes its fame outside its borders, to the fact of being a supplier to the English Royal House for the last 150 years. It was in 1738 when they came up with the preparation of these eggs, which enchanted Victorian high society.