- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- 1.1 € / person
- 280kcal per 100g.
How to prepare a risotto a la carbonara .
Italian cuisine occupies a prominent position in world gastronomy.
There are many rice recipes that Italy and its gastronomy have given us for everyone to enjoy. And within that group of wonderful recipes is the carbonara.
For this risotto we have used Scotti risotto rice, which is perhaps the most easily found in supermarkets and supermarkets.
Although carbonara with pasta is prepared in Italy, mainly spaghetti alla carbonara , we can also make a combination of recipes and cook a classic risotto with this type of sauce, a risotto alla carbonara .
We keep the ingredients of the classic carbonara combined with the preparation of a good risotto, over low heat, with constant attention, the result is a smooth and totally delicious creamy recipe.
It seems that the origin of the carbonara is in the Lazio region, where Rome is the capital. It is assumed that it was in the region’s mining area, in the Apennine Mountains, that the coal miners began to prepare this dish.
In fact, the word carbonara comes from coal, carbonari in Italian. It is undoubtedly a delicious preparation that combined with the creaminess of a risotto . It becomes a dish as impressive as it is simple.
Preparation of a risotto a la carbonara
- The first thing we have to do is have all the ingredients ready and at hand before we start preparing this recipe. So we start by grating the cheese, peeling and cutting the onion into cubes and cutting the bacon into strips to our liking.
- In a casserole, the same one that we will use throughout the risotto process, heat 20 gr. of butter.
- When it has melted add the diced bacon and brown it well, stirring occasionally so that it does not burn us. We remove the meat with a slotted spoon and reserve it.
- We incorporate 20 gr. add more butter to the casserole and fry the onion over low heat until it is soft.
- This process will take us about 15 minutes. It is important that the onion does not brown too much, it is about leaving it syrupy.
- While the onion cooks, heat the vegetable broth or chicken broth that we will already have prepared. The broth must be very hot at the time of adding it to the rice.
- Add the rice to the casserole once the onion is ready.
- We remove so that it is integrated with the butter and the onion and we cook for 3 minutes stirring without stopping.
- We will have to get the rice grains to blanch, but taking care that they do not roast.
- Add the reserved bacon and begin to incorporate the liquid. First add 2 tablespoons of broth that must be boiling.
Cooking the rice. Final presentation of the risotto a la carbonara
- Keeping the heat medium low and with a wooden spoon, we are stirring the rice so that it cooks slowly.
- Once we see that the liquid has been absorbed we continue adding more broth, ladle by ladle, until we have incorporated everything. The rice cooking process will take us about 17 minutes.
- While we are cooking the rice we mix in a bowl the grated cheese with the eggs, a pinch of ground black pepper and salt. Mix well and reserve.
- When the rice is ready add the remaining butter to the casserole and stir to butter the risotto.
- We separate the casserole from the heat and add the mixture of eggs with Parmesan.
- We return to the fire and stir for a few seconds to integrate the cream with the rice. We remove from the heat immediately to prevent the egg from curdling.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album .
Tips for a delicious carbonara risotto
- We serve the risotto at the time of preparing it, sprinkling it if we want with a pinch of black pepper. It is a delight of Italian cuisine as good as it is simple to prepare, a dish of yummy.
- Regarding the ingredients that make up this dish, in Italy not many variations are allowed. Originally it did not include the bacon in its preparation, it was not until 1940 when it began to be part of the recipe.
- The issue of eggs leaves us some margin, some use only yolks, others combine the yolks with whole eggs and a few add the whole egg.
- The cheese to use can only be Parmesan or Pecorino, no other is valid to prepare this recipe and it is still called carbonara.
- And finally, a controversial topic, the Italian carbonara, the authentic carbonara, never has cream or cream, so much so that adding it is almost a crime for Italians.
- Choose from all the rice recipes that you will find on the blog, with seasonal mushrooms . With simple ingredients such as Parmesan or saffron , the original risotto with lamb and artichokes , the octopus risotto or a classic sea and mountain .