- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.6 € / person
- 250kcal per 100g.
How to make pumpkin tortillas .
During the Carnival or Todos los Santos season, it is common in all the houses to prepare typical desserts from each area. Each region has its own recipes and each house also prepares its own variant.
In Galicia, during the Entroido, you can not miss orellas , fried milk , fritters , pancakes , Carnival flowers , pumpkin chulas … but obviously we are not the only ones who celebrate carnival with intensity, both outside and inside the kitchen.
If there is a region in Spain that lives the carnival dates with fervor, it is, along with the province of Cádiz , the Canarian community . And, as it could not be less, gastronomically speaking they have a wide repertoire of recipes for these dates. One of those typical carnival recipes are the “carnival tortillas” or Canarian French toast .
As all the homemade dishes do not have a unique recipe, each teacher has his booklet and each house is given its own touch. As base ingredients we always have flour, milk, matalauva seeds, eggs and anise, and to add even more flavor to the pumpkin , although it is also very common to prepare it with bananas .
It is a deeply rooted recipe, it seems that in ancient times at carnival people dressed in old clothes, the men of women and the women of men. They all went from house to house serenade where they were offered carnival omelets and rice pudding .
This recipe has survived until today, being present in every home not only during the carnival season, but throughout the year. They are usually served accompanied by honey , although they are delicious sprinkled with sugar or cinnamon , and even alone.
With this recipe we can prepare about 9 tortillas at about € 0.30 each, a very economical dessert as well as simple. Do you cheer up with the Canary pastries?
Pumpkin Preparation for Tortillas
- We start with the pumpkin, peel the outer rind with a knife and chop it. You can follow the previous video, so you will have no problem with this step.
- We put the pieces in a pot with boiling water and cook for 30 minutes, until we see that it is soft.
- It is not necessary for the pieces to be very small since once cooked we will crush them. Another option to prepare the pumpkin is to bake it until it is soft.
- We place the pumpkin in a drainer and crush it with a fork.
- We let it drain for 15 minutes, so that it releases all the water it may have. We are interested that it is dry so as not to dilute the mixture.
Preparation of the cream for the tortillas
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and add the sugar.
- We continue beating the mixture until it foams.
- Add milk, lemon zest, anise, and fennel or matalauva to the bowl.
- We mix all the ingredients well until they are integrated. We are adding the flour little by little to the mixture and stir.
- We add the pumpkin to the mixture and stir. It will be a thick creamy consistency.
- We let the dough rest for 20 minutes to give it time to “open” the flour and begin to ferment.
Preparation of tortillas or pumpkin pancakes
- In a small frying pan, heat butter or soft olive oil, just enough to wet the surface.
- When the olive oil is hot, pour in a portion of the dough. The amount of each portion should be based on the size of the pan since it must be the amount of dough that covers the bottom.
- In my case when using a frying pan of about 18 cm. background, the amount that takes a kitchen ladle is just.
- Cook the dough over medium-high heat, first on one side for 15-20 seconds and then on the other. Turning it around like an omelette, with the help of a plate or a slotted spoon.
- Let cool and taste them freshly made, at room temperature or cold, just delicious. Although the best time to take them is when you leave the pan, when they are still tender inside, great.
We accompany with a good thread of honey , although they are also rich sprinkled with sugar or cinnamon , and even alone.
You can see all the step-by-step photos of the pumpkin omelette recipe in this album. Do not miss any detail and they will be perfect.