- 25 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 5 / person
- 75kcal per 100g.
How to make a Peruvian ceviche .
I recently attended a cebiches course taught by the chef Huber Mendoza.
This great chef taught us how to prepare an authentic ceviche, seviche, sebiche or ceviche in the classic style , with corvina .
The cebiche is a recipe for fish , shellfish or both citrus dressing. We can find thousands of versions depending on the Latin American country in which we find ourselves, although the one that I present to you today is from Peru , the country of origin of this magnificent dish.
Within Peruvian cuisine you can find tiraditos, such as bachiche, white shrimp or nikkei, they will not leave you indifferent. The different varieties of causes with their potatoes, the Lima or the dismounted, are to repeat over and over again.
The treatment given to fish and seafood is unsurpassed, not only does Ceviche live Peruvian cuisine, we will also find tuna tartar, grilled octopus or seafood chaufa.
The possibilities with which they play with meat, guinea pig (the well-known guinea pigs), chicken, anticuchos, kid or veal, are among the best in the world.
I forget thousands of their products, corn, chili peppers, sweet potatoes, cassava, suck … little by little I will publish what I am learning in the courses I attend so that you can learn from me and that Peruvian cuisine become one of your favorites.
I leave you with one of its easiest dishes, the classic ceviche with corvina , which you can substitute for other types of white fish, monkfish, black pomfret, sole, grouper … the one you like best. Let’s cook!
Preparation of fish for fish ceviche
- The first step is to clean the fish, removing the hard parts and small pieces of excess skin.
- You can choose the white fish that you like the most, perch is a cheap option, although with monkfish or sole it is also luxurious. The choice is yours but it is very important that the fish is very fresh.
- It is better not to use frozen fish. Although to get rid of the danger of anisakis (to avoid parasitic problems), we can freeze fresh fish for 48 hours.
- After this time we let it thaw at room temperature before working with it.
- We will use the loins of the fish. We review the fish loins in case they have any small bones or skin remains.
- Once clean, we filleted them with the knife cutting strips or in medium dice, pieces of 1-1 / 2 cm. approximately.
- We reserve the fish in a large platter.
Preparation of the garnish for the fish ceviche
- We start with the garnish, wash the sweet potato well and cook it for 20 minutes over medium heat, from when the water begins to boil.
- We click it to check that it is soft inside. We remove from the water and reserve.
- In a separate saucepan, we cook the corn cob for 10 minutes, if you do not find fresh corn, you can use dry.
- Although you must leave it to soak with a good measure of water throughout the night. The corn must be tender, we can test it to see how it goes in cooking. We reserve.
- We cut the files in half and have them ready to squeeze. With one of them we rub the bowl where we are going to prepare the ceviche.
- Add the corvina to the bowl or platter, add some ice cubes, so that the fish is as cold as possible for as long as possible.
- We add fine salt (to taste), freshly ground white pepper and finely chopped rocoto without seeds (if you can’t find it you can use chili or yellow chili).
- In most Latin establishments you can find frozen roco and yellow chili, or these in paste. I recommend that you give it that spicy point, it is the grace of our ceviche.
- We squeeze the limes over the bowl where we have our ingredients. Always with your hand, preventing the seeds from falling and squeezing them only halfway so that they do not become bitter.
- Always in any preparation with lemon or limes we must squeeze by hand and gently so that the juice does not bitter, no electric or manual juicers.
Final preparation and presentation of the fish ceviche
- We stir 1 minute until everything is well integrated. When the fish begins to take color, taste and rectify with salt if necessary.
- The fish will be cooked with the citrus, and we will verify that its meat is whitening, the citric acid in the limes will modify the proteins of the fish to leave them in their proper state. Releasing all its juice, the famous tiger milk .
- We cut the coriander very fine, gently so as not to crush it and add. We remove the ice cubes from the bowl.
- The last step will be to cut the purple onion into a thin julienne. We divide it in half.
- We remove the outer layer, place half on the board and make the thin cuts. Once cut, we wash it very well in a strainer to remove the bitterness.
- So that the onion is not poached but rather crispy, we add it directly to our ceviche at the last moment before serving.
- Let it rest in the fridge for 10 minutes until the fish is very white.
- We only have to serve our ceviche on the plate that we have reserved very cold in the fridge with a cold beer.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut some thick slices. We shelled the corn cob.
- Place a little of the marinated corvina, red onion on top, and serve with the sweet potato and the corn kernels.
A Peruvian dish that will delight your guests. A very simple recipe, you have no excuses not to prepare a delicious ceviche at home.
Tips for a Peruvian yummy ceviche
- On the blog you can find some other ceviche, the one that is most successful is the Nikkei, with a combination of corvina and octopus from Galicia.
- The Peruvian cuisine is fashionable and Peru because the kitchen is a religion, children do not want to be footballers, but cooks. It is without a doubt one of the most important cuisines in the world thanks to the great wealth of its dishes. Some will ring a bell, others will simply tell me, what is that?
- Peruvian cuisine is perhaps one of the most exquisite, fusion of cuisines in the world and unsurpassed flavor. One of the keys to a good ceviche is the quality of its ingredients and the temperature, the first thing we will do is put the container where you are going to serve the ceviche in the fridge. Fish must be cold at all times.
- For ceviche we are going to need fresh white fish that has a consistent meat, which allows us to divide the loins into cubes that do not fall apart.
- In this recipe we have used fresh sea bass, which you can easily find at the fishmonger, tell your fishmonger to clean it well and to avoid spines, even so we will have to review it at home.