- 90 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.8 € / person
Homemade orange jam recipe . I present you one of the jam recipes that I like the most, a star option in breakfasts in our country. It is a faithful companion to toast or cookies, an interesting touch for a slice of bread with cheese or butter and even used as a touch of color and sweetness in pastry. The first thing that I am going to clarify is the difference between jam and jam that we have asked ourselves so many times. The jam is made with pieces of whole, chopped or crushed fruit, while the jam is made with the pulp or puree of the fruit. In this case I have opted for a jam.
To prepare them you must follow some simple rules. The fruit must be ripe and in excellent condition, well washed, peeled and peeled. As a general guideline, the most acidic fruits, as in this case, need to add their weight in sugar, while the sweetest fruits need less quantity. Fruit should not be overcooked as it may lose flavor and even leave a burnt aftertaste. Neither should it be undercooked, as it could lead to harmful fermentation.
Make homemade jams whether they are sweet, such as the present orange marmalade , such as the fig jam as if it is salty, such as tomato jam are a fantastic option to eat healthy since they do not have any additives. In case we are lucky enough to have seasonal fruits from home we can make a wide variety. We will avoid throwing a lot of fruit, since it is collected all together and we can keep it for a more or less long time, as well as being a fantastic gift for friends and neighbors.
Preparation of orange marmalade
- We weigh a kilo of oranges, which in this case are 6 oranges.
- We wash the oranges so that the skin is very clean, we peel them and reserve the peel of 2 of them (1/3 of the total oranges). It is important that in the peels that we are going to reserve we cut the thin skin, so that it does not take much white part.
- We peel half a lemon, with the same procedure, the skin with as little white as possible. We peel the rest of the oranges, leaving them as clean as possible, removing all the remains of the peel that remains stuck on the surface of the pulp. We cut all the shells that we have reserved into very thin strips.
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan, add the orange and lemon strips and cook for 4 minutes over high heat. We remove them and drain. We reserve.
- Weigh the peeled oranges, cut them into thin slices and remove the seeds. I advise you to cut them on a plate so as not to waste any juice. We put the slices in a saucepan with the equivalent of their weight in sugar.
- Bring everything to a boil over medium heat and cook over low heat, stirring frequently for 1 hour until the sugar begins to spin. No need to add water.
- When the hour has passed we add the orange and lemon strips and continue cooking, without stirring, for 15 minutes. The final consistency must be semi-liquid or thick.
- We pour the jam very hot in glass jars that are well washed in the dishwasher or previously boiled if we prefer, we tighten the lid and turn the jars upside down to ensure that they are vacuum packed. Both the containers and the lids must be perfectly dry at the time of packaging. We do not recommend too large pots (ideally between 250 and 500 ml) since once they are open, when they come into contact with air, their contents can spoil if they are not consumed within a certain time.
- We leave them like this for one night before placing the pot in its normal position and storing. When they have cooled we keep them in the fridge. The approximate duration is 2-3 months.
I advise you that if we want the jam to last us many months we must carry out the sterilization process; first of the empty cans and then a second sterilization with the canned food already prepared. But with the steps indicated in the preparation it will be enough to ensure a good conservation.
Be sure to enjoy all the yummy sweets in our dessert recipes , I assure you that you will find a lot of ideas to make yours much happier.
You can see all the photos of the step by step of this recipe for orange jam , do not miss any detail so that they come out perfect.