- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- 1.8 € / person
- · ·
I admit it, I do not care if it is summer or winter, I love stews and stews . Today’s recipe is one of the most classic and traditional of home cooking, rib and potato stew , very similar to the one prepared by my mother, although not her recipe (I have to make them one day with her so that they come out similar). This recipe is easy and inexpensive, and I am sure it is part of the repertoire of many of our mothers and grandmothers.
I know that a priori it may seem that they are not the most suitable dishes for summer dates, that’s why the forceful and fatty they often are, but stews and stews are not always synonymous with fattening or fatty food. In today’s recipe, if we are careful to remove the fat from the meat, we will have a not excessively caloric dish with all the flavor of the traditional. It is simply about braising some vegetables to which the meat will be added so that they cook together in their juice.
Although the pork ribs are not considered as a part of excessive quality, I think that in this dish, the way of preparing them and the combination with the vegetables and the sliced potatoes, make up a very tasty dish that does not detract from other more elaborate stews at all. less economical. If you have not had the opportunity to try this recipe yet, I recommend it, you know, easy and traditional cuisine is always a success in the kitchen and at the table.
Preparation of the ribs with potatoes
- We cut the rib into pieces according to our taste, more or less large. In a large saucepan, heat 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil and brown the rib on all sides, in several batches if necessary. Remove from the casserole and reserve the rib in a source and the casserole with the remaining oil.
- Peel the onion and garlic and cut them into small cubes. We heat the casserole that we have reserved with the oil to brown the ribs again and add the onion and the minced garlic. If we see that it is necessary, add 3 or 4 more tablespoons of olive oil.
- Fry over medium-high heat, stirring periodically to avoid burning.
- While the onion is cooking we wash and chop the pepper and add it to the casserole along with the bay leaf.
- We wash and chop the carrot and add to the same casserole. I do not put you times of stir-fry, while washing and cutting a vegetable, the one that is already incorporated into the casserole is frying.
- We peel the potatoes and chop them breaking, without cutting them completely but tearing them apart, cutting them, so that they release their starch when cooked. Add the potatoes to the casserole and the rib that we have reserved.
- Add the white wine and salt and let the alcohol evaporate.
- While the sauce is being made we prepare the tomatoes. To remove the skin we can blanch them in boiling water for 1 minute or peel them with the help of a knife. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces and add them to the stew.
- Add ½ glass of water and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. Let it rest for 5 minutes and we will have it ready to eat, delicious stew where there are.
At the time of presenting the dish we can do it as it is with the vegetable stumbles visible, or remove the ribs and potatoes and pass the vegetables through the Chinese or the mixer to make a finer sauce. And do not forget that this stew is much better from one day to the next.