- 70 minutes
- For 6 people
- € 5 / person
- 305kcal per 100g.
How to prepare octopus in Mugardesa . When we think of octopus and Galicia, everyone has the same recipe in mind: octopus feira . It is true that it is very good, incredibly good, but octopus can be cooked in many other ways.
The recipe seafood today is not new as it is traditional Mugardos. A beautiful town in the Ría de Ferrol in which an octopus stew with peppers that is delicious is made.
In its day this stew was prepared by sailors in the middle of the job, usually with some rice or potatoes, octopus or the trash of the same fish they caught. The octopus stew on earth today is prepared differently.
With a half-cooked octopus, a sauce of onion, peppers, a little paprika, a touch of garlic and some Galician potatoes cooked in the same water as the octopus.
The result is glorious and a plate of ten within Galician gastronomy. Also in this recipe with octopus you have a detailed step by step, from how to cook the octopus to videos and photos so that it comes out perfect.
One of the great attractions that the town of Mugardos offers is its cuisine, which is based on the quality, variety and richness of seafood, cooked in the traditional style like this stew.
I leave you with this recipe but if you want to enjoy it as it deserves, I invite you to spend the second Saturday of July for ” The Mugardos Octopus Festival “.
There you can taste this dish along with others that revolve around this Galician delicacy. And as I always say, put a little piece of Galicia in your kitchen and you will not regret it, do not hesitate for a moment.
- Important to follow the advice that you will find in the post of Cook the octopus. You can also the video with all the secrets to make it perfect for you.
- We cook the octopus for about 30 minutes over medium heat (it will depend on the size).
- You have to click it from time to time to see how hard it is. On this occasion we are going to leave it almost done but not so much as to prepare it feira.
- If you want to make the Galician octopus you will need 15 more minutes.
- If you do not have the possibility to cook the octopus you can buy it already cooked in any fishmonger or supermarket. It does not come out the same but for a fix it can be worth.
Preparation of octopus a la Mugardesa
- In another casserole, or in the same one, we cook the potatoes with skin and add an onion and two bay leaves. If you use the same broth to cook the octopus, the potatoes will take on color.
- In 15 minutes they should be almost done, keep in mind that they have just been done in the stew, try with a fork and remember that they have to be a little hard.
- When they are cold and we remove the skin. Cut in half or sliced bakery style. We reserve.
- Peel and chop the garlic finely.
- Peel and julienne the onion. Add to a saucepan with oil already hot. Fry until the onion begins to have color, which is caramelized. We continue with the garlic and stir everything for a few minutes.
- We introduce the peppers into strips that we have previously washed. Fry with the rest of the ingredients and sprinkle the half teaspoon of sweet paprika. This way we prevent the paprika from burning and the recipe bothers us.
- We would have to add the potatoes and the octopus slices. The cutting measures to the taste of each one, I like that they are generous pieces. We pour the glass with the octopus cooking water.
- We heat everything on high heat for five minutes. Season with salt and pepper if necessary and stir everything well to bring together the flavors of the stew. We let it rest for ten minutes and you are ready to go.
Presentation tips and recipes with octopus
We present it in a large wooden plate with a little Maldon salt. We serve with a good piece of Galician bread to slice the stew and a good red wine. For example a mencía, which is what goes to the octopus. I hope you like it because I assure you that it is delicious. Long live Mugardos!
We can cook the octopus in infinite ways. The classic cooked or Galician, octopus furnace at the choristers , confit (one of Picasso’s favorite recipes), tempura, accompanying a rice or risotto .
Be sure to enjoy all the recipes for fish and seafood that we have on the blog.