- 15 minutes
- For 4 people
- 1.7 € / person
- 276kcal per 100g.
How to make a Margarita pizza . If we talk about the mother of all pizzas, the pizza of all pizzas, we have to talk about Margarita or Margherita pizza .
This type of Italian pizza is made up of a Neapolitan pizza dough as a base and accompanied by only 6 ingredients. As simple as a little tomato, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, salt, freshly ground black pepper and extra virgin olive oil. It is without a doubt the most popular Neapolitan pizza.
They say that its origin dates back to 1871 to honor the Queen of Italy, Margaret of Savoy. Chef Raffaele Esposito Brandi created the Margarita pizza. In it he represented the colors of the Italian flag with tomato, mozzarella cheese and basil.
Although recent studies say that there is a lot of fable or story in this story. Those who bought Brandi’s pizzeria in 1932 are said to have come up with the idea for the letter telling this story. But as in many recipes, the legend prevails, even in many of the recipes that I have seen on the internet and cookbooks.
Italian connoisseurs say there are only two real pizzas: Pizza Margarita and Pizza Napolitana . I advise you to try this simple, cheap and delicious pizza. This pizza is considered as the base to make other elaborations. The result is really spectacular, try it and then you can tell me. I am sure you incorporate it as one of your favorite pizzas.
Preparation of the pizza dough
- If we have chosen to prepare a homemade pizza dough , on the blog you can find the recipe for how we make it at home. It is a very tasty and tender dough that I encourage you to prepare.
- Once we have the pizza dough ready, the first thing we do is turn on the oven. Butt, the most of your oven. In my case at 250º C for about 10 minutes and that it is hot at the time of introducing the pizza.
- Since the temperature has to be high, it can take about 10 to 15 minutes. It will be the recommended time we need to assemble the pizza.
- We put a bowl (suitable for the oven) with water, so that it has some moisture when we go to bake it.
- Once we have the prepared pizza dough, already spread on baking paper, we prepare the filling.
Preparation of tomato sauce for margarita pizza
- If we do not have crushed natural tomato we can do it very easily at home. We peel two tomatoes and cut it in half. With the help of a grater we will get that natural sauce that will be the base of our pizza.
- If we choose to grate the tomato, we have to avoid excessive liquid, which is better to filter to remove water, the more the better.
- Add a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. We break about 3-4 fresh basil leaves in the tomato sauce with a few drops of extra virgin olive oil. We remove to gather all the ingredients.
- Spread the crushed tomato on the entire surface of the dough. Taking care to leave about 2 cm free. all around the perimeter of the pizza. We can help ourselves with a spoon or ladle, but with our own hands (always clean).
Baking Margarita Pizza
- We cut the mozzarella cheese into thick sheets and spread them on the surface of the pizza. Without loading it too much, it should not carry much.
- We carry the pizza between two people the pizza between two people by the corners of the baking paper carefully. We open the oven and put it in the middle tray that will be very hot.
- Bake with the oven very hot at 250º C, top-down heat and air for 7-8 minutes. It is long enough for the dough to be ready and the cheese to melt.
- We distribute some fresh basil leaves on top and water with a small thread of extra virgin olive oil. Ready to enjoy the mother of all pizzas.
As you can see, it is very easy to enjoy a delicious homemade Italian margarita pizza at home.
I encourage you to visit more recipes for tapas, snacks and pinchos perfect for an unforgettable evening with yours.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the Margarita pizza album .