- 90 minutes
- For 6 people
- 0.8 € / person
- 117kcal per 100g.
How to make Manchego asadillo . If you like bread and traditional cuisine, you are going to love this vegetable recipe , the Manchego barbecue .
A simple and very typical dish from Castilla-La Mancha. It is a cold salad of peppers and roasted tomatoes seasoned with a mash of garlic, cumin and a good splash of extra virgin olive oil. There are many adaptations of this dish, in some areas of Malaga they prepare it with red pepper, green pepper, tomato and onion.
In my house we eat it a lot when summer arrives, although sometimes my aunt prepares it in family gatherings to accompany a rabbit with garlic or a suckling pig . In any case, it always goes hand in hand with a good spikey loaf of bread. I cut it into thin slices and fry it in the pan with a jet of virgin olive oil. Then I put the spit on him and I can guarantee you that he is dead.
But if you do not have bread, or you are on a diet, you can do without it perfectly. This dish has a flavor that by itself you will love. The sweetness of peppers and tomato, together with cumin and garlic, will leave a magnificent memory on the palate. Let’s do it! You will see how rich he is.
Preparation of the Manchego barbecue
- We wash the peppers and tomatoes and dry them well. We put them in the oven dish and add salt.
- We put the peppers and tomatoes in the oven with heat up and down, at 180 ° C, for about an hour. Every 10 – 15 minutes we will rotate the tomatoes and peppers so that they do not burn.
- When they are ready we remove them from the oven. We put them in a clay dish and cover them with a rag so that they last for about 15 minutes. When they are warm we remove the skin.
- We open the tomatoes a little and let them drain well until all the liquid is removed.
- While we are going to chop the peppers. I like to cut them into strips tearing them with my hands.
- Then, once the tomatoes have been drained well, we will chop them into very small pieces, as I show you in the images. Salt and mix the tomatoes with the peppers in a clay bowl and set aside.
- In a mortar, mash the garlic cloves. Add a little cumin and add extra virgin olive oil to taste. We season the salad with the previous mixture and mix so that the flavors are well integrated.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this Manchego barbecue recipe . Do not miss any detail so that it comes out perfect.
Tips and recommendations to make the best barbecue
- When buying peppers, order them for roasting, that they have thick skin so that later they can be peeled better.
- When you take the peppers and tomatoes out of the oven, cover them with a cloth for about ten minutes to make them sweat. This way the meat will be more tender.
- To prevent the skin from sticking, we will peel the peppers and the tomatoes when they are still warm.
- If you get a lot and you think that you are not going to be able to eat everything, a good idea is to make preserves. You can buy the classic glass jars that come with a metal closure and an orange rubber grommet to make the closure as hermetic as possible.
- You store it in a dark, cool and dry place and label it so that you don’t forget the packaging date. There are specific techniques to correctly prepare the preserves, so I advise you to read a little about it before launching into it.
- You already know that knowing does not take place, and in this case it is essential for food to remain in good condition until consumption.