- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- 3.6 € / person
- 202kcal per 100g.
How to make a Lagarero-style baked cod .
If there is a country where cod is an indivisible part of their culinary culture, and they know how to treat it like no one else, that is Portugal.
Today I bring you a traditional dish from one of its provinces, Beira Litoral, a lizard-style cod or bacalhau á lagareiro .
This cod recipe , also called in olive oil, was prepared in the areas of Portugal where there were olive mills where olive oil was made.
Originally it was cooked to taste the freshly pressed oil in the mills. The cod was cooked in the oven and potatoes and onions were added, in the style of baked cod that you already know.
Once roasted in the same wood oven hanging on a wire, they were watered with the olive oil.
It is a centuries-old recipe where two of the treasures of this land, cod and olive oil, come together.
It is a simple fish recipe in its preparation but deserving of its great tradition in the neighboring country, where they know how nobody can prepare this product.
With simple and top-quality ingredients, we get a cod dish with first-class flavors and texture, a gastronomic luxury where cod is the protagonist.
On the blog you can find several more cod recipes from the Portuguese repertoire. From its famous bacalhau com broa , the incredible flavor of bacalhau com natas , its delicious golden cod or bacalhau á Bras , bacalhau à Gomes de Sá or the traditional spiritual bacalhau .
All recipes where we will take the best advantage of this culinary treasure Who dares to prepare this recipe at home?
How to desalt the cod. Previous preparation Lagareiro
- To desalinate the cod loins we must first cut them if they are very large.
- I advise you to read how to desalt cod before starting the recipe . Here you have all the tips so that the recipe comes out of 10 points. Still here is a little summary.
- Normally the thick loins are those used for this type of preparation, where the loins then go to the oven and must be juicy.
- To desalt the cod, the piece of fish must be covered in plenty of water.
- The thick parts will desalt for 48 hours, with water change approximately every 6 hours.
- While the fish is desalting it should remain at a temperature between 6 and 8 º C in the refrigerator, since at room temperature it can ferment.
Preparation of the accompaniment and frying of the cod
- We wash the potatoes well and cook them in a saucepan covered with water with a pinch of salt.
- We cook the potatoes until when you prick them with a knife, it does not offer resistance.
- Depending on the size of the potatoes, this operation can take more or less time, taking 35 or 40 minutes in the case of large potatoes.
- Drain the potatoes once cooked and crush them until they break.
- It is not about crushing them, but simply breaking or ripping them. We place them in a suitable container to put in the oven and reserve.
- In a frying pan we heat a good stream of olive oil. We add the garlic cloves cut into sheets and fry them until we see that they begin to roast.
- We turn off the heat and remove the garlic that we place on the potatoes. We reserve the oil in the same pan.
- We flour the cod pieces and fry them in the oil in which we have cooked the garlic.
- Cook the loins until they begin to brown. We should not overcook the fish, it is about giving it a deep fry, the cod will just be done in the oven.
- We remove the cod fillets from the pan and reserve them.
Baking and final presentation of Lagareiro cod
- In the same pan and with the same oil that we have used, fry the julienned onions.
- Cook the onions until they are transparent. We salt very lightly since the cod will contribute its point of salt once in the oven.
- We pour the onions and their oil over the potatoes in the casserole that we will use to go to the oven.
- Place the reserved cod fillets on top, add the olives and water with a splash of olive oil.
- With the oven previously heated to 180º C, we bake the cod for about 25 minutes.
- We put heat up-down with air and place the source in the middle tray.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot. Ready and lick your fingers!
With few ingredients we will have a dish where the star will be this wonderful fish, cod.
A delicious dish to be like kings on a daily basis or on any special occasion.
You can see all the photos of the step by step of this baked cod in the Lagareiro style in this album.