- 25 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.5 € / person
- 345kcal per 100g.
How to make milk French toast without lactose.
The dessert recipe that I present to you today is the traditional one of the house, made just as my mother taught me when I was little, with just one variation that milk is lactose-free.
A perfect dessert for all those who are lactose intolerant and who want all the flavor of the usual French toast, juicy, almost slug and with all the flavor of Easter . And it is that on these dates the vigil stew , the cod fritters and milk torrijas , are the recipes that you have to taste yes or yes.
In my house, as in almost all of them, the French toast is a recycling dessert and the bread from previous days was reused. In Galicia, the Galician loaf of bread is eaten, which is a little thicker than the usual one in Madrid.
The best French toast are those that are desired and are made with love, with good milk, with or without lactose. Today’s recipe with Galicia Calidade is prepared with Unicla lactose-free milk, which maintains all the flavor of milk without this sweet coming out the same as the traditional one.
Better to eat French toast all year round, taking advantage of the bread left over at home from one day to the next, a way of collaborating with the family economy and the environment. I suggest that in addition to the French toast, you try the pudding of bread with nuts , delicious.
I leave you with this simple recipe in case you want to try some bites to lick your fingers and I assure you that after trying them, I do not know if we will be better, but surely we are happier.
If you like this recipe, be sure to visit our special desserts and sweets for Easter and Easter .
Preparation of infused milk (optional)
- The first step is to prepare the ingredients with which we are going to flavor the milk without lactose.
- This previous step is very important because we are going to incorporate into the milk a lot of aromas and flavors that will make our slice. Something delicious, almost sinful.
- We put the milk in a wide saucepan.
- We wash the lemon and orange very well. We grate the skin of the two citrus fruits, without reaching the white part so that then the dessert becomes bitter. We add to the milk.
- In the preparation of flavored milk we have an ingredient that will make a difference, also the price because it is not cheap, vanilla beans.
- For this recipe we are going to need the whole open pod. To get the most out of it, we cut the ends, the widest part of the sheath, with a knife. We slit it from one end to the other, opening it like a book.
- We scrape the inside with the blade of a knife (it is best to open it well with your fingers and scrape it with half the blade of the knife), so we will remove the seeds that we are going to save.
- The clean pod is the one that we are going to add to the milk without lactose, also once the milk is flavored, we are going to take it out and dry it, we will keep it for other uses, for example to flavor sugar and make our own vanilla sugar.
- Heat the lactose-free milk over medium heat almost to the boiling point. We lower the temperature and remove from the heat.
- Add the vanilla bean and the cinnamon stick. We leave everything to rest for 5 minutes, that is, infusing the milk.
- The flavored milk must be warm or cold when we use it to soak the French toast. We reserve.
Preparation of French toast without lactose
- We choose a comfortable container to dip the bread chosen for the French toast. We fill it with the cold and lactose-free infused milk that we have reserved.
- Beat the eggs until they foam a little and add two tablespoons of infused milk. We beat again and place on another plate that is comfortable to dip the French toast before frying.
- We put a pan with extra virgin olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- While the oil is heating, we bathe the slices of bread in the infused milk.
- We turn it so that they are well impregnated but do not drip and we pass it through the beaten egg that we already have prepared. From there directly to the pan with very hot oil.
Frying and final presentation of the French toast without lactose
- Fry the French toast on all two sides until golden, using a fork to go around the French toast.
- We remove to a plate with absorbent kitchen paper to remove the excess oil.
- We fill a wide container with sugar and cinnamon powder (about two teaspoons of cinnamon powder for every 100 g of sugar). Mix well with a fork.
- We coat the French toast in that mixture, which is well impregnated with sugar and cinnamon.
Let cool and taste at room temperature or cold, simply delicious.
You can see all the step-by-step photos of the lactose-free French toast recipe in this album. Do not miss any detail and they will be perfect, a delicious option for lactose intolerant.
Tips for some delicious French toast
- A trick so that the French toast does not turn out to be cloying is not to add sugar to the milk that we have infused. But when we prepare the syrup or with the sugar and cinnamon that we will add at the end. In this way we unify flavors and it will be really delicious.
- For this recipe we are going to need the whole open pod. It is not necessary to add the interior, that is to say the seeds, we can save these for another dessert. My recommendation is that you freeze them in aluminum foil and use them little by little depending on the recipe. So you can save this ingredient.
- The traditional French toast , in Madrid are usually made with another type of bread, wider, spongy and thicker than usual . For me it is another point of view of this well-known dessert that can be made with lactose-free milk.
- The French toast is better from one day to the next, as you can see in the photos I have let them sweat, so they are covered with a capita of sweet and soft syrup that makes them supreme. Come on, yummy, don’t hesitate.