- 40 minutes
- For 6 people
- 0.7 € / person
I have fallen, I admit it, I could not avoid joining the latest fever, madness or pastry phenomenon of recent years, I have prepared cronuts . For those who do not know what I am talking about, I am going to tell you, it is the latest trend in New York, a hybrid between croissant and donuts that is fried in abundant oil instead of baked.
It is a confectionery invention created by the now famous Dominique Ansel , a New York pastry chef. Queues from early morning attest to the sweeping success of this sweet in the city, the no longer cheap price of $ 5 that this cake costs, reaches astronomical figures on the black market. No, it’s not a joke, it’s crazy. But hey, let’s calm down, the fact that the original recipe takes three days to prepare, and the idea that it is a special puff pastry , stuffed and fried , leads me to think that it has to be very good, but I don’t know I would see myself queuing from 4 am to get a copy.
But as curiosity has been able to, and respecting the distances, I have put and voilé , here are some homemade cronuts with puff pastry not homemade, although if you dare with homemade puff pastry they will be more authentic and you will control its flavor. I have to say that they are very good, surely not like the original and laborious cronuts that they prepare in Dominique’s pastry shop, but very good, in fact so good that I will surely prepare them again, it may vary the fillings or the toppings, that’s why trying new things, but I’m sure I’ll cook them again.
We will have to wait for the fever to arrive in these parts to taste them or try to get them if I ever return to New York, but in the meantime I recommend that you prepare them, they are a very tasty sweet, which I am sure will hook you.
Preparation of the cronuts
- We spread the two puff pastry masses on a parchment paper and place them one on top of the other. With a cutter we make the portions of what will be our cronuts. If we do not have a specific cutter we can use a round tupper or a wide-mouth glass to make the portions.
- With a small cutter, a plastic cover or a corer we make the inner hole of each cronut.
- While we heat abundant oil to fry in a saucepan we finish preparing the cronuts. With the tip of a knife we make small indentations around the contour of each of the portions, both on the outside and in the outside hole. This process is essential to allow the dough to grow in the frying since it may happen that when the different portions have been made, the different layers of the puff pastry have stuck together, which will prevent them from separating when frying them.
- We fry the cronuts at medium temperature for 3 minutes on each side taking into account that we do not get raw on the inside, hence the need for the oil to enter each of the layers, cook the interior and separate them at the same time.
- We remove the cronuts to a tray with absorbent paper to remove excess oil and transfer them to a rack until they cool.
- Once the cronuts are fried we prepare the decoration. This time we are going to fill it with blueberry jam and we will bathe them with a lemon glaze- To finish off the decoration we will sprinkle them with some colored shavings.
- We put the jam at room temperature in a kitchen bottle and with the same tip of the bottle we make holes in the surface of the cronut that reach a little more than half its height and fill each hole with jam.
- We prepare the glaze mixing 200 gr. of icing sugar with two tablespoons of lemon juice and stir until a dense cream is formed. We decorate the cronuts by covering them to our liking with the glaze and sprinkle the colored shavings at the same moment, before the cream dries and they no longer stick.
For this dessert, imagination is everything, we can decorate our cronuts with colored shavings, or chocolate, fill them with cream, jam or cocoa cream, glaze them or not, coat them with sugar or anything else we can think of. With all the options that we use this hybrid between croissant and donuts you will love them.
Be sure to enjoy all the yummy sweets in our dessert recipes , I assure you that you will find a lot of ideas to make yours much happier. You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.