- 100 minutes
- For 6 people
- € 3 / person
- 230kcal per 100g.
How to make a seafood cream.
A perfect seafood recipe for a light and tasty first course that goes with a more powerful second.
I can advise you different options such as cheeks , some fish meatballs , a rice with seafood , stew or a good Galician pot .
In my house it is usually done every year for Christmas, although my mother adds some level broths, since she usually takes advantage of the cooking of other crustaceans to give it more flavor. The one that I propose this year is simpler, just as tasty and much cheaper.
This seafood cream goes with some prawns, prawns or prawns. Of those good, beautiful and cheap that are on sale in many supermarkets these days and that give it all the seafood flavor. Although I do not forget a touch of vegetables and paprika from La Vera that makes it even tastier.
This cream is surely different in each house, perhaps it is closer to that of your mothers, although there are probably a thousand different recipes, it accepts a multitude of variations and they are all just as good.
Logically its strongest point is the body of the prawn, carabinero, prawn or prawn (because you can use the tricks that I present today for any of the four species). But of course the heads and the casing or tail should not be thrown away, with them we can prepare a delicious soup or cream as in this case.
Some prawns are perfect for the seafood cream that I present today, there is no better way to start a winter Christmas meal than with a bowl of warm seafood cream . I hope you like it and that it is a star dish in your celebrations.
Before cooking, preparing the prawns, prawns or prawns
- For this recipe you can choose prawns, prawns or prawns, the preparation is valid for these types of seafood, choose depending on the recipe.
- I like prawns more and I recommend that they be frozen from a quality brand. For less than 10 euros you can find half a kilo without problem.
- I have even bought a box at the supermarket next to my house, and 800 gr. at 7 euros, you will always find an offer close to these dates.
- If you opt for frozen prawns, let them thaw well the day before in the fridge so that they can be handled the next day.
- We peel them, remove the head and the shell that protects them.
- We start with the head that is the one that has the most flavor, making a simple rotation we easily detach it, we reserve it.
- Then, from the bottom of the belly, where the legs are, we remove with our hands the different rings or shell that cover the body along with the legs.
- Do not throw away the shells because they will serve to make our cream.
- Once the prawns are peeled we must remove the intestine (a black thread that they have inside) that we must remove with the help of a toothpick or the tip of a knife.
- With the toothpick we prick the end of the intestine that is visible and pull it.
- It should come out whole, as if it were a thread, without the need to open the prawn, so that it does not lose juice and flavors during the preparation.
- It is thrown because it tastes bitter and can bring sand or the last thing the prawn ate.
- We dry and reserve the prawns for grilling at the end of the seafood cream preparation.
Preparation of the broth or shrimp fumet
- You can see the step by step better explained in the recipe for fumet or prawn broth , but here is a summary.
- With the remains of the prawns (the shells and the head, not the meat of the shrimp) we are going to transfer them to a pan with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the heads and bodies of the prawns or prawns. We give it a couple of laps until they change color.
- It is time to flambé, we pour the brandy we set it on fire (always with the extractor hood off). We stir until the flame goes out. We reserve.
- Peel the onions and cut into two. Finely chop julienne and add to a saucepan with a finger of extra virgin olive oil. Brown over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile we wash, peel and chop the carrots. We do the same with leeks and garlic cloves.
- Add water until it covers half the casserole. That is to say, in the casserole will be the remains of prawns, brandy, oatmeal, onion, carrots, leeks, garlic and water to make the broth. It only remains to add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- We cook everything for half an hour.
- Once we have all the flavors integrated we give it a crushed with the mixer. Strain with a fine strainer and remove possible remains of the broth, we want it to be clean without any remains of shells.
- With this we achieve a more substantial broth and also a more reddish color.
I assure you that the result is 10 points. We already have the prawn fumet ready. We reserve.
Preparation of the seafood cream
- We cut the bread into thin slices and add them to the casserole with a little oil. We stir at medium temperature until we see that it begins to brown.
- Time to add a teaspoon of dessert with paprika de la Vera (not too full, with the touch is enough). We remove everything by bringing the flavors together.
- We add the seafood broth or fumet that we have previously prepared.
- Let cook until the bread is all soft and helps thicken the mixture. About 10-12 minutes over medium heat would be advisable. We must stir from time to time so that it does not stick to the casserole.
- We taste of salt and if necessary, season with salt and pepper. We only have to crush until we get a creamy texture.
- We pass it (optionally) through a strainer or a Chinese bowl and we already have the cream ready to serve very hot.
The texture must be cream, if we are a little fat we can add a little whole milk or liquid cream.
If we are going to use it another day, we look for a tupper where we can put all the liquid and keep in the fridge until we are going to eat it.
Preparation of grilled and plated prawns
- In the final process of the cream we are going to prepare the prawns, prawns or grilled prawns that we have reserved.
- Brush a pan with aove and when it starts to smoke we pass the prawns.
- The recipe is for 6 people, that is to say the prawns that I had reserved, they must arrive to spare for everyone. We cook in just a minute and a half, without going too far, just enough for them to turn pink.
- We choose a nice deep plate or bowl. And finally we add 1 or 2 tablespoons of very hot cream and accompany with the prawns.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped fresh parsley and enjoy.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.