- 180 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.6 € / person
- 225kcal per 100g.
How to make rice pudding . This is one of the traditional dessert recipes that I really wanted, both to share with you and to prepare at home.
This is the dessert that brings back the most memories of my childhood after the Galician pancakes and my grandmother Lucrecia’s fried milk .
For me the best was the one prepared by my aunt Amelia, who embroidered it at every celebration of any kind, birthdays, slaughter or vintage meals, or simply because (which were the best times).
His secret was patience and using real cow’s milk, milked in the morning with his cream and a taste of milk that little by little I am losing over time. He also used a large brass casserole from yesteryear, a wood stove and long hours.
The result, a creamy rice pudding in which the grain was somewhat loose in a cream flavored with cinnamon and lemon and that the next day was even better. This is a memory that I keep from when I was not even ten years old.
A few weeks ago that memory returned when I dared to prepare it at home. Sit at the table and eat it teaspoon by teaspoon, savoring this rice pudding as it deserves. It seems I still see my uncle Manolo raging at me for eating the very hot rice in the pot.
Creaminess is achieved by adding more milk and lengthening the cooking until the rice is perfect. For this dessert we trust the special rice desserts that always give us such a good result. I hope you like it and prepare it at home, it will surely bring you the same sweet memories as me.
Initial preparation of rice pudding
- The first step is to prepare the ingredients with which we are going to flavor the milk. We wash the lemon very well and peel its skin in a fine way, without much white that then makes the dessert bitter.
- We also need a stick of cinnamon stick, the largest you can find. Heat the two liters of milk over medium heat almost to the boiling point. We lower the temperature and remove from the heat.
- Add the lemon peel and finally the cinnamon stick. We leave everything to rest for 5 minutes (infusing the milk).
- In another casserole we put the rice with the water and a pinch of salt and bring it to a boil. Salt is important because it gives it a very important touch, almost the fundamental secret for it to be an authentic rice pudding.
- As soon as the rice has sucked all the water we remove. Think that we have added little water and the rice will still be a little hard, with this process we managed to save almost half an hour.
- My mother told me that it was best to put it in the milk pot. And always boil the rice at a very low temperature.
- So following my mother’s advice of 10 points of temperature of my induction hob I have had it at 3 at all times. Stirring every 10 minutes so that it does not stick to the casserole and that the flavors mix well.
Final preparation of rice pudding
- The evaporation process of the milk and the release of the remaining starch from the rice will take an hour or so.
- When we have reached that point we add the half liter of milk that we have reserved.
- We continue with the low temperature another hour, always stirring to achieve that desired point of creaminess.
- When we get the rice to be creamy, keeping in mind that when it cools it will get a little fat. Add the sugar (I have used a small amount because with the reburn it is quite sweet and so it can be countered).
- The sugar is always added at the end so that it does not stick, it will also fatten the cream a little.
Presentation of rice pudding. Tasting
- For the presentation we fill some pots or cool bowls that you have at home.
- As you will see in the photo I used some special stoneware casseroles for Catalan cream , simple and just the right size for an individual dessert. We let them rest for 15 minutes.
- I like very cold traditional rice pudding. That is why I always keep it in the fridge, to serve it very fresh before serving and give it the right touch of ground cinnamon. I leave that to your liking, my mother loves it more loose, warm and without cinnamon.
- You see that it is one of the most traditional dessert. A very soft and creamy rice pudding. The recipe is simple and is explained step by step. According to the grandmothers and mothers of all Spain, the secret of a good rice pudding is patience.
I assure you that you will find a lot of ideas to make yours much happier. You can see all the photos of the step by step of this recipe for rice pudding