- 40 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.4 € / person
- 285kcal per 100g.
How to prepare a cod a la Llauna .
I present you a traditional Catalan fish recipe that I really like at home, cod a la llauna . It is an easy dish to prepare that does not require sophisticated ingredients.
Cod has been very present on Catalan tables since the Basques brought it from the cold waters of the Atlantic. It is a legacy from the days when fish had to be cured so that it could withstand prolonged transport from fishing grounds to markets.
A perfect ingredient for many recipes, from a vigil soup , a delicious rice with balacao or some Pavia soldiers . Nowadays fresh fish arrives without difficulty in our homes, salted cod has remained firmly in the regional kitchens of Europe and the United States.
This recipe gets its name from the container in which it was prepared. La llauna is a tin can used by muleteers or peasants to heat this dish and keep the juice, thus preventing it from being dry.
Traditionally, it is a dish that is prepared that is within Easter recipes . In fact, for a long time it was considered an unrefined food, which was consumed in the days of abstinence.
I do not usually use a tin container , but I prepare it in a clay bowl , but I leave that to your choice. In the same way, even if it is not in the Catalan way, it is delicious. A delicious dish that I recommend you prepare at home.
Before cooking. How we desalinate cod
- The first thing we are going to do is chop the loins. Next we are going to immerse them in water.
- It is important that the pieces are completely covered with water. So the size of the container and the water must adapt to the amount of cod to be desalinated.
- To eliminate almost all the salt, it must be soaked for at least 48 hours, changing the water every 6-8 hours. However, the term can be shortened if a little salty is preferred. In the video you have below, I explain in detail how to desalt cod without problems. We want the perfect recipes to come out.
- You will see that by immersing the cod in cold water, it recovers the original volume, softness and color.
Preparation of the cod to Llauna
- When the loins are desalted, we remove them from the soak and dry them well. Once dry we are going to flour them.
- We add about 2oo ml to the pan . approximately extra virgin olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the floured cod loins. We fry them over medium heat.
- We remove the fillets and place them in our clay pot or in the llauna if you have chosen this container.
- Cut 2 garlic cloves into sheets and brown them in the same oil where we fried the cod.
- When they start to take color add the paprika and immediately afterwards the glass of white wine.
- We are going to boil it for a few minutes to reduce the alcohol.
- Once the alcohol has evaporated, we pour the contents of the pan over the cod loins that we have in the clay dish (or in the llauna).
- Chop the parsley and the other 2 cloves of garlic and pour it over the cod. And finally we put it in the oven at 180 ° C for about 10-15 minutes (although this step is optional, it gives an incredible point). We serve very hot.
I like to accompany this dish with some potatoes to the poor or with some good cooked Galician potatoes.
A meal with which you can surprise at a family or friends gathering. Enjoy it!
You can see all the photos of the step by step recipe of cod a la llauna in this album. Do not miss any detail and it will be perfect.