- 30 minutes
- For 6 people
- 1.3 € / person
- 305kcal per 100g.
Chickpeas with chorizo . I present you a recipe for chickpeas in the traditional and homemade style, one of those recipes for legumes from my grandmother that I have been making since I was little, and I say small because I started preparing them with my mother at 10-12 years old.
A simple and simple, nutritious dish, in addition healthy and cheap at this time is also important. I try to prepare legumes at least one day every week, I usually prepare some stewed lentils , some beans stewed with chorizo or some chickpeas like the ones in this recipe.
I do not know if I have mentioned that the recipes for legumes are among my favorites, especially those of spoon. Whatever the time of year, a stew usually falls on my table, especially with legumes, whether by spoon or even in salads.
The chickpea or pea is called the meat of the poor, as it is also known. It is of considerable wealth in terms of nutritional contributions.
It is rich in proteins, starch and lipids (much more than other legumes), especially oleic and linoleic acids, which are unsaturated and devoid of cholesterol. It provides a lot of fiber. Come on, eating chickpeas is one of the pillars of the Mediterranean diet.
A very comforting, tasty and nutritionally complete spoon dish. Cold weather, spoon time and homemade stews . It is also a very simple and complete dish. Do you cheer up?
Before cooking the porridge. The chickpeas
- One of the important steps is the choice of chickpeas. You have them as dried or already cooked legumes and you can find various sizes.
- I like Castilian chickpeas of large size, spherical shape and a characteristic yellowish color. I recommend using dried chickpeas because they allow you to control the salt point of the stew by avoiding the treatments that canned foods bring.
- The day before we put the chickpeas in warm water with a teaspoon of baking soda or a good handful of salt. We soak overnight, usually 12 hours.
- It is important to wash them afterwards to remove possible impurities. Also, do not strain any damaged chickpea that can spoil a tooth.
- We will only have to drain and set aside until the time to prepare the stew.
- If you are going to use them already cooked, wash them very well without leaving any of the gelatin that surrounds the chickpea. We will add them at the end of the stew cooking. Just so that they are well impregnated with the flavor of the rest of the ingredients.
- I must admit that this type of chickpea already cooked and packaged in a glass jar saves a lot of time in the kitchen. Although it is better to use them for other types of dishes such as a hummus or a salad.
Preparation of the chickpea casserole
- In a saucepan, add a splash of oil, 2 very chopped onions, 3 carrots cut into thin slices, 2 bay leaves, 1 red bell pepper, cut into small pieces, 2 cloves of garlic and a teaspoon of sweet paprika.
- Fry for 10 minutes so that the flavors mix well and remove.
- I have made them in the express pot, the advantage is that in 15 minutes the casserole is done. But if you don’t have to cook for 1 hour and a half, over medium heat the first half hour and over low heat the next hour.
- In the pot we introduce the vegetables, a chorizo, the chickpeas, 2 potatoes in large pieces, 1 liter of water and salt (to the taste of each one). Let it take temperature and season with salt and pepper. Before adding salt and pepper, test the sauce to see if it is necessary to add them and to what extent.
- We close the pot, let them cook in about 15 minutes.
- That easy. Don’t be afraid of the express pot. If you still see that it is a little watery, easy, in the same pot (without the lid) we let it reduce liquid until it is as you like.
- We rectify salt and pepper if necessary. Remember that it has chorizo that is salty, with which it already brings salt.
The combination of flavors in this stew leaves you with a succulent dish perfect for the curry tupper. And with a good loaf of bread it is the most, the sauce is incredible.
I hope you liked this chickpea with chorizo recipe. Follow the step by step and I assure you that it will be perfect the first time.
Tips for a chickpea chowder stew
- For vegetarians the recipe is the same but without chorizo and without potato. The latter to choose, but in “bio” recipes, potatoes are not usually used much.
- The other day I tried them without sausage since at home we have not put on a diet and we have somewhat removed the issue of sausages. I assure you that they are also phenomenal.
- If you add a handful of rice, they are already coming out.
- To prepare this dish we can cook our own legumes or use canned chickpeas, betting on good quality brands.
- It is also key to use a good chorizo, which can be spicy if we like it more, even with a little black pudding, it will be a round stew.
- This is the typical recipe in which we can also have chickpeas already cooked to save time and complications.
- We can prepare a larger ration so that they are superfluous and keep them in a taper, since it is very well preserved and lasts to take it to work.
- Needless to say, it is important that all ingredients are of quality. Both chickpeas, vegetables and sausages. The raw material rules!