- 60 minutes
- For 10 people
- € 0.3 / person
- 392kcal per 100g.
How to make cheese and orange donuts . Within the pastry repertoire of our country, the chapter dedicated to recipes for fried desserts , occupies a prominent place.
The French toast , pancakes, ears or friar’s, Gañotes de Ubrique , the borrachuelos from Malaga , canes of cream or pestiños , are a small example of what you can find on the blog regarding this topic. In common, in addition to being desserts based on a dough that ends up frying, it is that they are, most of them, typical of Christmas and the time of Easter.
Surely in this list you miss many more examples, and perhaps one of the most classic is the donuts. Today I bring you the recipe for some different donuts, it is about Mascarpone and orange cheese donuts that because of the different and tasty, I am sure you will like them.
Although donuts are a dessert typical of Christmas and Easter, it is very common to consume them at any time of the year. A sweet star in the patron saint festivities of many towns in Spain. There are a wide variety of donuts, Candil’s donuts, Madrid’s silly or ready-made donuts , the classic anise donuts or the cream donuts you already know. I would even say that there is a type for each of the houses where they are prepared.
Today’s recipe is somewhat different by adding Mascarpone cheese to its ingredients and being flavored with orange. The resulting texture is among the candlestick, due to its fluffiness and those that my mother Rosa has always prepared, a little more compact. The flavor is smooth and buttery, thanks to the cheese and citrus for the orange. In short, it is a recipe that I encourage you to put into practice when you are thinking about getting ready to make donuts, you will like them.
Preparation of the cheese and orange donuts
- In a bowl beat the eggs with the sugar until we have a foamy mixture. Add the zest and the orange juice, the Mascarpone cheese and the oil.
- Mix well until all the ingredients are integrated. It is convenient that the cheese is at room temperature so that it is easier to combine.
- Add the flour and yeast and mix well, initially with a fork and then with your hands, until you form a ball.
- Let the dough rest in a greased bowl, covered with a cloth, for about 30 minutes.
Donut dough shape
- After the resting time of the dough, we put on the fire a frying pan with plenty of sunflower oil. In it we are going to do the frying, they will be our famous donuts.
- A trick to flavor the oil is to fry two long strips of lemon peel (with no white fruit, just the skin) in the oil at low temperature.
- We leave them in the oil for 10 minutes at low temperature, 2 out of 10 points of induction temperature is enough.
- We move on to the most fun of the recipe, making the donuts. Spread extra virgin olive oil on the counter and hands.
- While the oil is heating we form the donuts taking into account that they will grow and swell during frying. So we should not make them too big or thick.
- We make some balls the size of a golf ball, more or less all the same, about 40 units come out.
- This is the easiest way since we will only have to open a hole in the center with the help of our fingers. In this way you will ensure that they are all the same and very fluffy.
- If you want them crunchier, you can make finer churritos of dough as if it were modeling clay and join them at the ends. I leave to your choice the shape that you like the most.
- We remove the lemon peels from the sunflower oil.
Frying and final presentation of the cheese and orange donuts
- We fry the donuts being very careful not to burn them. It is important because after all the work we do not want them to pass us or stay raw inside.
- The oil that we have in the pan we put it over medium heat without it getting to smoke.
- We fry in batches of no more than 6 donuts, so that the oil does not get too cold. Don’t be scared if they fall to the bottom, they rise again, because with the temperature they get a little fat.
- When they are gilded on both sides. We place them on absorbent kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
- While still hot, we coat them in sugar and let them cool completely before consuming.
They are different donuts, very tasty and with an incredible texture. What would you think of deserving her with a coffee?
Be sure to enjoy all these homemade donuts this Christmas and other sweets in the special Christmas recipes .
You can see all the photos of this recipe for cheese and orange donuts step by step in the next album.