- 45 minutes
- For 8 people
- € 0.3 / person
- · ·
I recently presented you with a recipe for toast with gluttony . Today it will be an original toast that Rubén prepared in Allariz (Ourense) for Nadal’s meal.
Original for the mix of flavors: quail eggs, Galician potatoes, caramelized onion and Iberian ham; assured success.
The recipe has its origin in the typical broken or crashed eggs that I have published on the blog, but with the different touch of the candied potato and the quail egg (although its flavor is similar to that of chicken on the toast it is beautiful).
Toasts are one of the star recipes in Spanish tapas, especially in the north of Spain. I have tried the best and most creative ones in Bilbao and in Pamplona.
I have not been to many of these contests but in which I have been able to taste the best tapas have been the one in Compostela, Granada and Toro (Zamora). You can comment at the end of this recipe where the best tapas contest is held, so we will all be informed. Set dates and places to make planning easier because a good tapas weekend is priceless.
Preparation of broken egg toasts
- Today I present a new concept: confit . It sounds a little strange but the truth is that it is a fairly easy process and the result of yummy. Confit is nothing more than cooking a food in a good olive oil in the necessary quantity. The oil should not come to a boil and takes time depending on the food. In this case we will apply it to the potatoes but it can be done with many foods, perhaps one of the most famous candies is that of partridges.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1 cm sheets. We put in a casserole or in a saucepan about 400 ml of oil and heat over medium heat for about 3 minutes, then we lower to low temperature and introduce the potato slices. The potato has to be totally submerged, do not worry about using a lot of olive oil because it can be used for other recipes and lately the price has dropped a lot, to see if it continues like this.
- The oil should be hot but never boil. We leave cooking for about 20 minutes at low temperature until soft, we can test with a fork to see how cooking progresses. Remove the potatoes, remove the excess oil from the potato with a little absorbent paper and salt with fine salt. We reserve.
- We chop some slices of ham in the mincer or by hand, as you like. We reserve.
- Prepare the lightly caramelized onion with a little honey. We have to peel it and cut it into very thin slices. In a saucepan add a little olive oil and always over low heat introduce all the onion. When we see that it begins to release water, we raise the temperature a little so that it browns. We lower the heat and season with salt and pepper, stir with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes and add 1 large tablespoon of honey. We remove to caramelize and when we see that the honey is sticking to the onion we remove to a plate.
- Next we will make the quail eggs. We add a splash of olive oil to a pan, heat and add the eggs to the pan. We are going to prepare them as if they were grilled but without turning them, they will be toasted on the bottom and little done on top. To each egg we add a little salt and black pepper. We reserve on a plate.
- Now that we have all the ingredients for the toast prepared and ready to assemble, let’s go for the bread. We cut the bread into 2 cm slices. wide and lightly toast in the pan. At the same time we are heating the onion and the potato a little in the micro so that the toast comes out very hot. We place the onion on the bread, then the candied potato, on top the quail egg and finally the Iberian ham hash. We can garnish with a little parsley.
- We present these toasts on a nice plate and garnish with a light touch of a good olive oil.
These toasts must be served immediately and very hot, the latter is important. I hope you like them. Bo provided!
I encourage you to visit more recipes for delicious tapas, snacks and pinchos for an unforgettable evening with yours. Perfect for a light dinner, a party or, yes, a delicious way to share food with friends and the people you love.