- 20 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 1.45 / person
- · ·
Surely when you think of beans you remember winter but here we have this bean salad with cod . Legumes (lentils, chickpeas …) we have to eat all year round and in any case, I assure you that if you dare to make it you run the risk of turning it into a regular salad in your summer. A delicious salad, very nutritious, balanced and above all very easy to make and open to infinite possibilities.
When summer is at its peak and the heat gives us no respite, the body asks us for cold food. The variety of salads that we can prepare depends only on our imagination and the recipe that brings us today, in addition to providing us with legumes, has the great advantage that it is prepared in…. ten minutes? (Or at least with the version of using the already cooked beans that they sell canned, if you want to cook your own beans, it will take you something else). Of course, leave it for a long time in the refrigerator so that it is very cold.
This salad has history and is that it is a traditional dish of Catalan cuisine: “Empedrat de mongetes i bacallà”. It is a spring and summer recipe, as we mentioned, where the main ingredients are beans and cod, both of great tradition in Catalan cuisine. We will start with the cod.
- We desalinate the cod by putting it in water at night (about 12 hours) and putting it in the fridge so that it can be discouraged at low temperature until the next day. This salad is prepared with the cod without desalting at all because the normal thing is that if we do not like salty we discourage it for a whole day (with the change of 2/3 of the water to remove the salt) but that I leave it to your liking .
- Crumble the cod with your hands and flavor with a little oil. We reserve.
- If we choose the option that Nieves presents us, we drain the beans and rinse them to remove the remains of the canned liquid. If, on the other hand, we have dry beans, we will leave them to soak for about 12 hours and then cook them in cold water for about 40 minutes over normal heat. So that they are whole and do not fall apart, we must drain them in cold water and let them cool. The advice is to buy canned beans and decide on quality beans with good flavor and size.
- Cut the onion and green pepper into small pieces, it is preferable to make it very fine so that it blends well with the rest of the salad. Mix the beans with the onion, the pepper, the cod and the chopped parsley.
- Sprinkle with paprika to taste and season with a light vinaigrette of salt, vinegar and oil. And above all, serve the salad very cold. I hope you like it.
- This bean salad combines very well with sausages in cubes or with crispy ham replacing the cod. If we want to tune it a little more we can add hard-boiled egg, pitted olives or a little crispy bacon (heating it in the microwave for a minute). Imagination to the power.
- To remove the sheets from the cod if we want it better presented without breaking it up, we put it in water and milk, we put it in a saucepan and when it starts to boil we can easily remove the strips.