- 50 minutes
- For 6 people
- 1.8 € / person
How to prepare rabbit with tomato . I bring you a meat recipe , with rabbit, a very cheap, healthy and grateful meat in the kitchen, rabbit with tomato sauce . In addition, this recipe is very healthy, when accompanied by a vegetable ratatouille and a side of potatoes.
Rabbit is a white meat, low in content, especially suitable for low calorie diets. So those of you on a diet will not be able to resist this dish. This meat stands out for its contribution of minerals such as phosphorus, potassium and calcium. As I mentioned before, it is very economical, and you will get a set menu so you do not spend too much.
A rabbit about 1.5 K. gives us 6 diners, and with a cost between 7-8 euros. At the time of going to buy it, we will check that the legs are flexible and the meat is pink. This way we will know that it is a tender rabbit and in good condition. I have to warn you that when having very little fat, it can be a somewhat dry meat, so it is advisable to always cook it accompanied by some sauce or garnish that adds juiciness to the recipe.
In the recipe, we are going to cook the rabbit , so we will need to chop it. Tell the butcher to cut it for you to fry and then stew, none will hit you. Even if you see it already bagged on the shelves, go with it to the meat section and they will gladly prepare it for you as we need it. Another important recommendation: look for a good bun / loaf bread, with a good crumb, because then you will enjoy the nice thing spitting in the sauce.
Preparation of the rabbit with tomato
- Season the rabbit pieces to taste and leave it to rest until we cook it. Peel the garlic cloves and cut them into sheets.
- We wash the onion and peppers. We chop everything into a small “brunoise”, so that later it practically melts in the cooking.
- In a large flat pan (where we will cook the entire dish) pour a sheet of extra virgin olive oil. Heat, add the garlic strips and fry until golden. We withdraw.
- In the hot oil, fry the rabbit pieces round and round, until they are golden brown. We withdraw and reserve. By frying it in hot oil, we get the meat to be sealed on the outside and juicier on the inside. The rabbit will release its juices in the oil and it will be a delicious sauce.
- In the same oil, over medium heat, fry the onion and peppers. We salt to taste and cook about 10-12 min. We want them to be poached, softened and cooked little by little.
- Peel the tomatoes, remove the seeds and chop them into very small cubes. They must then be undone when cooking.
Rabbit cooking and final presentation
- We add them to the casserole, mix and let cook another 10 minutes. Another option is to use a can of whole natural tomato, which come already peeled and seedless. In this case we would need about 800 grams.
- Add the meat broth, a sprig of thyme or fresh rosemary (depending on taste), a good splash of red wine and stir to integrate all the ingredients. I personally prefer later to find stumbles in the sauce, but if you like it more homogeneous you could pass the sauce for a Chinese.
- Now it is time to put the rabbit in the pot. We distribute it evenly and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, depending on what your kitchen uses.
- Halfway through cooking, after 10 minutes, try salt and rectify to taste. If the pieces of meat are not covered by the sauce, turn them halfway through cooking. The important thing is that we do not run short of liquid, and it is too dry.
This dish can be tasted as is, with a good loaf of artisan bread on the side to dip in the sauce, or also make a side garnish. They could be fried or roasted potatoes, white rice, or mashed vegetables and potatoes. I have chosen to chop some potatoes into cubes and then fry it. We serve warm on the table and enjoy this simple and inexpensive dish.
You can see in this step by step how to prepare this rabbit with tomato recipe . If you like recipes with rabbit, I am sure you will prepare it on many occasions.