- 45 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.4 € / person
One of the star desserts of the Christmas holidays is, without a doubt, the polvorones .
These are small sweet portions made with butter, flour, sugar and almonds that can never be missed at Christmas tables along with nougats of all kinds and marzipans .
The special thing about these polvorones is that they have not gone through the baking process after the formation of each bite. They are made by mixing the ingredients, giving them the characteristic shape and leaving them to dry for at least 6 to 12 hours, before they can be consumed.
The texture obtained is less flaky and more compact, but the flavor is perhaps more intense and aromatic. Due to the fact that I have to dry at room temperature, I usually prepare smaller and thinner portions than when I make the baked almond polvorones .
This makes the process easier and I have to use less patience to wait until they are ready to taste them. I assure you that they are a real delight, totally delicious, you will tell me.
Preparation of the almond polvorones without oven
- The first thing we do is to toast the flour, so we aromatize it, give it color and eliminate its moisture. We put the flour in a wide frying pan and, without stopping stirring, leave it over medium-high heat until we see that it has taken on color. It is very important not to take your eyes off the flour as it could burn in a few seconds. We reserve the flour until it has cooled.
- In a bowl mix the butter at room temperature with the sugar. We beat until forming a cream. It is essential that the texture of the butter is in ointment since otherwise we could not work it. We are adding the flour to the bowl, always sifted, to undo the lumps that may have remained from the roasting.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well with a fork until it turns into a dough with a sandy texture. We compact that sand with the hand to form a ball and on a sulfurized paper we flatten it until it acquires a thickness of 2 cm. We could use a rolling pin but the dough is very soft and it is not necessary.
- We cut the polvorones with the chosen pasta cutter and we leave them on a grid. We collect the remains and cuttings of dough, make a ball again and repeat the operation.
- We place all the polvorones on a grid and sprinkle powdered or ground sugar to decorate them. We let them dry between 6 and 12 hours, depending on the temperature and humidity. Leave them in a dry place, that there is no humidity, in addition to far from the anxious ones of the polvorones, we do not want that they disappear before time.
In this time we will have obtained about 20 category Christmas sweets, and if we wrap them in the typical tissue paper, we will have a great gift idea.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.