- 70 minutes
- For 8 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 304kcal per 100g.
How to make orange custard . A recipe for a simple and very easy dessert for you to prepare at home.
Its preparation is very similar to the classic egg custard from a few months ago, which many of you have prepared but adding the oranges, which give a lot of play in the kitchen.
The truth is that there are many desserts with orange on the blog: orange strips with chocolate , orange cake , chocolate mousse with orange , anyway … it will be for desserts!
I usually use oranges in many of my dishes, and in the freezer I always have zest of orange, lime and lemon in small jars to flavor all kinds of recipes. And not only desserts, since citrus fruits have such a characteristic flavor that they add an exotic touch to any recipe.
This is a recipe with few ingredients that everyone has at home: oranges (for juice or dessert), eggs, milk and sugar, all easy so you don’t have to break your head thinking about where you are going to buy them.
There is no doubt that it will become one of your favorite sweets and even the base for similar desserts. A luxury available to anyone with an indecent texture and flavor, very simple to prepare and very nutritious.
And remember that incorporating the orange juice softens the taste of the egg, which for some palates is not very pleasant. The orange combines very well in a flan but you can also try other citrus fruits such as mandarins or clementines. You will tell me! It is sure to become a reference dessert in your kitchen.
Preparation of the caramel
- We put a saucepan or a frying pan on the fire at medium temperature so that it reaches temperature. We add the ingredients in the following order: 5 tablespoons of white granulated sugar, a little water (3 tablespoons) and a few drops of lemon.
- Leave on medium heat without stirring (at first we should not move the sugar with a wooden spoon because it will weigh down) and we will see how little bubbles begin to form little by little and the sugar changes color.
- When this happens we remove, now yes, with a wooden spoon and we help to mix everything.
- Remove from the heat and continue stirring until it reaches that roasted honey color of the caramel and add a few drops of lemon juice. These will brighten and prevent it from crystallizing quickly.
- Let it warm for a minute and caramelize the container walls of the flannels or where we are going to prepare the flan.
- We put the caramel in the bottom first and we go turning or tilting little by little through the walls of the molds until everything is impregnated with caramel. Let the caramel cool until it is medium hard.
Preparation of infused milk for flan
- First we will prepare the ingredients with which we are going to flavor the milk.
- We wash the oranges very well and peel the skin of one of them in a fine way, without much white that then makes the flan bitter. We open the vanilla bean and remove the seeds that we will reserve to add later to the milk.
- We heat the milk over medium heat almost to the boiling point. We lower the temperature and remove from the heat, add the vanilla seeds and the skin of the orange. We leave everything to rest for 5 minutes (infusing the milk). Strain to remove the peel and vanilla remains.
- Grate one of the oranges (it must be a very fine grated, we do not want to find half an orange in the flan. If you do not have a good grater, do not add it. We also squeeze the oranges until we obtain the juice and reserve everything.
- We separate the yolk from the white of 6 eggs, the whites can be used for other recipes, do not throw them away. To these yolks we add three large whole eggs, we add the sugar, the orange zest, the orange juice, the tablespoon of orange blossom essence and the infused milk.
- We beat everything until there is a creamy mass and with a little foam. We reserve.
Preparation of the orange flan. Baking and final presentation
- Fill the central tray of the oven with water. We raise the temperature of the oven to 200º C until the water begins to boil.
- We put the orange custard cream in small custard molds or in a large individual flan.
- We cover them with aluminum foil. We put them in the oven in the tray with the water for 50-60 minutes at approximately 190º C, until the flan are curdled and golden.
- The oven will not stain anything at all but be careful not to burn yourself with the water in the tray.
- I recommend that the last 10 minutes of cooking remove the foil. This will get a bit of color on the top.
- After 50 minutes you can test with a knife to see if they are completely curdled. If it comes out clean they will be ready, if we don’t leave them a little more.
- Let it cool at room temperature. Then we put them in the fridge, they will be much better cold and from one day to the next. We carefully unmold them on a plate so that all the flan is bathed in the caramel.
Be sure to enjoy all the yummy sweets in our dessert recipes . You can see all the step by step photos of the orange custard recipe in this album.