- 70 minutes
- For 6 people
- 1.7 € / person
- 262kcal per 100g.
How to make a soupy rice with rabbit . We are passionate about recipes with rice and this type of preparation could not be missing on the blog, a soupy rice.
At home we often prepare rabbit, it is a very healthy meat with very little fat that we are passionate about. And I think you too, the rabbit in garlic , the rabbit stew in beer or the rabbit in the oven have a lot of visits. With what I have thought today of another type of rice with rabbit , in this case broth.
The idea of this rice was to prepare a rice using part of the vegetables that I had in the fridge and a rabbit that they gave me. My uncle Paco likes hunting and from time to time he shows us one or two field rabbits at home.
This type of meat is drier and fibrous, so the rabbit must cook more. It is also usually more powerful in flavor than we can buy in the supermarket, which gives rice much more flavor.
It is a forceful dish, which in this case is also very healthy. Perfect for a single dish and Sunday is the perfect occasion to invite the family and try this rice with rabbit and vegetables.
Cooked in a large casserole, rice, rabbit and vegetables form the perfect union that results in a very nutritious and healthy dish. We incorporate the lady and a good SOS rice, special rice dishes.
The most complicated part of the recipe is the proportion of water that we are going to add to the rice. It is essential to control the rice that you are going to use so that it is perfect for you, that you know the variety that you are going to use to control the degree of absorption of the rice.
Otherwise it does not have much science, we cook a good fund, because the broth is perhaps the most important and finally we add the rice.
Preparation of the rabbit and the vegetables before making the soupy rice
- In my case they brought me the rabbit already clean, without fur. Although I have had to work hard when chopping it. For this we make a cut with a good knife, I do not like the head with what I usually throw it. We clean and chop the rabbit well into small pieces, almost no need to use a knife to eat later. Thus we will not find large pieces of meat in a rice.
- If you are going to buy it in the supermarket, you will not have to use this step. Your trusted butcher will gladly slice it for you into a pleated plas in the size you want. But they also already sell trays with clean rabbit and prepared to make rice.
- Chop the onion and green pepper into small pieces and peel the garlic cloves (they will be whole).
- In a bowl we put to macerate the field rabbit chopped with white wine, onion, pepper, garlic cloves, thyme, bay leaf, rosemary, salt, freshly ground black pepper, a good splash of extra virgin olive oil and a splash of wine vinegar. We reserve in the fridge for at least 12 hours.
- We put the ñoras in a bowl with hot water to rehydrate them. We will leave them for about 30 minutes, until they are fully hydrated. We reserve.
- After this time, we remove the meat and strain the broth from the maceration. We reserve the vegetables and strain the broth (which we are going to use in the rice).
- While the vegetables cook, we prepare the rest of the ingredients. We remove the ñoras from the water and remove the inner seeds. With the tip of a knife or a teaspoon, we separate its internal meat.
Preparation of the rabbit for rice
- The next step is to make like a rabbit stew, a good bottom for rice. Season the rabbit again and put the rabbit in extra wide olive oil in a wide saucepan.
- Brown over low heat to seal it well and then the juicy meat remains. When it is well browned on all sides, remove and reserve.
- In the same casserole where we have browned the rabbit, add a good jet of extra virgin olive oil. We put the vegetables to cook (we cook over low heat until they soften and begin to brown).
- Add the rabbit pieces to the casserole and sauté everything well. When we see that both the onion and the peppers are almost cooked, we will add the peeled and chopped tomato.
- It is time to introduce the pulp of the ñoras and the paprika from La Vera, these will give color, aroma and flavor to our broth. We put all the ingredients together very well and pour the broth with the wine and vinegar that we have strained from the maceration. We also add the bay leaves, thyme and rosemary.
- We simmer for half an hour minimum. If more liquid is needed we can add a little water to make the rabbit. With the rabbit pieces so small it should be enough for a field rabbit. Although it is worth trying once in a while to try how the meat is. If it is a supermarket rabbit, you will need half of that time, to try as well.
Preparation of broth rabbit rice
- We already have a quality fund full of flavor for our rice. This is an essential step in any rice, no matter how it is made.
- We can give even more flavor, adding a good homemade vegetable or meat broth, although in this case we have only used water, we already have enough of the bottom flavor.
- Add the broth or water to the casserole. In broth rice we will generally use Bomba style grain and add a minimum of 4 times water or broth. If we add more water it would be as if it were a soup and if it were less the rice would be from mellow to dry. This rice depends on many factors but if you follow our advice it will be perfect.
- We remove the bay leaf, thyme and rosemary. They have already fulfilled their role. We set the temperature to high and when it starts to boil add the rice.
- We remove to throw it and when it breaks to boil again we lower to medium heat. In this way we achieve that the rice is loose and that some grains do not stick to each other.
- We cook about 18 minutes, it is the perfect time because it is not yet fully done.
- Between the rice reaches the table and we serve it, the rice rests and reaches the plate at its point. Ideally, the rice should be slightly broth as you see in the photo, almost creamy.
- This is thanks to the vegetables that have been poached in the cooking. Bon Appetite!
Tips and recommendations for a good soupy rice
- The broth rice must be served immediately to prevent the broth from passing the rice.
- A short-grain, round, pearl-colored rice that needs 4 parts of broth for each part of rice. The one I have used in this recipe is a round grain rice, bomba variety, from the Valencian Community.
- The peculiarity of this rice is that it multiplies its initial volume by two during cooking without losing its shape. In addition, its high content of amylose (a type of starch) makes the beans loose after cooking, which interests us for this dish.
- We only have to be clear about the cooking time of the rice so that it stays in its place.
- Also add the proportion of water necessary so that the wonderful broth remains from the cooking once the dish is finished. It is a perfect rice to accompany with bread and enjoy in time.