For 4 0.4 €/pers. 190 kcal/100g
- 300g. SOS Brown Rice
- 1.5l. of water
- Salt (to your taste at home, I recommend a good handful to give it flavor)
We know that brown rice , and in general all cereals, are healthier than refined ones. Brown rice is nothing more than rice that retains its husk, the bran . This implies that, as it is a complex carbohydrate, it is a source of fiber and vitamins. There are as many varieties of brown rice as there are refined white rice .
Consumption of fiber from whole grains improves gastrointestinal health and contributes to weight control. A perfect way to take care of yourself and include it in your weekly diet. When cooking brown rice , we must be clear about a series of ideas to achieve optimal cooking, preventing the rice from being hard or overcooked. If you don’t want to screw up, you should read until the end.
Tips for cooking brown rice
- We must be clear, in all cases, that brown rice does not have the same behavior as white rice . It will never have the same texture as white rice.
- Likewise, it will not behave the same when cooking . It is more important to achieve the right cooking point than to add the right amount of water. That’s why it will need to be drained at the end of the process, that’s okay.
- In brown rice, the bran that surrounds the grains will make the cooking time longer than that of refined white rice. The cooking time for SOS brown rice will be 20 minutes. It is best to always read the instructions and recommendations of each manufacturer. You can find brown rice that takes more than 40 minutes to cook.
- The good news is that brown rice, being harder and more elastic, will hardly overcook and become a “paste” like white rice, so we have room for error.
- Know the variety of brown rice you are going to prepare . I repeat it again. There is no fixed or standard cooking time for brown rice. Follow the time indicated by the manufacturer, if nothing is indicated, try periodically from 20 minutes to 40 minutes, until you notice it is cooked and al dente.
- We must be clear that it is not necessary to wash brown rice . Thus we would be dragging with the water, all its beneficial effects. Vitamins and minerals would no longer be present.
- To ensure a loose grain and depending on the type of recipe, we can sauté the rice for a few minutes in fat before cooking.
- Does it need to be flavored? The bran itself is enough to provide nutrients and a characteristic aroma. You can add spices or vegetables to enrich it, but it is not necessary.
Preparation of brown rice
I show you our base recipe that doesn’t have much science. You should also take into account the advice that I have mentioned previously. This way you will be able to leave the brown rice grains ready, neither soggy nor hard.
- Cooking in a pot on fire, induction or vitro. In a saucepan, heat the water with a generous pinch of salt. When the water starts to boil, add the brown rice.
- We cook the rice over medium heat for 20 minutes. Taste the grain two minutes before the recommended time, if it is “al dente” remove it.
- We drain the excess water and rice is ready.
- When steamed, we have to let the rice soak for 2 hours. We drain and put the rice on a clean cloth that we will have placed on the steamer tray. We cover the steamer and let it cook for 40 minutes. Since this is a long cooking process, you must be careful that the steamer does not run out of water.
- In electric rice cooker: Same proportion as with cooked rice. We put all the ingredients in the rice cooker (water, salt and rice), cover and put the rice cooker in cooking mode until it turns off by itself. We do not uncover the rice cooker until it is finished.
We can serve brown rice like any other rice. If we wish, in the last 10 minutes of cooking we can add chopped vegetables to give it a healthier touch if possible. If we want to serve it as an accompaniment, as is, cooked, it is a good idea to add a little chopped fresh parsley or cilantro. A touch of color and aroma.
Here you have the step by step to make this brown rice . A healthy option to prepare a unique refreshing and nutritious dish.
Benefits of brown rice
- It is believed that brown rice, with more fiber content, can help improve intestinal function and cases of constipation. On the other hand, white rice is recommended in cases of diarrhea or gastroenteritis.
- The bran or fiber in brown rice contains minerals and vitamins, while its content in white rice is much lower. The fiber helps brown rice to be assimilated more slowly than white, and thus balanced glucose levels are also maintained. Consumption of brown rice improves levels of glycated hemoglobin, total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol.
- Foods rich in fiber are more satiating than refined foods and are also digested more slowly, so they are ideal in cases of weight loss diets, especially if there is anxiety. In addition, brown rice contains more protein than white rice and is slightly higher in fat, but its fiber content helps assimilate them better.