- 15 minutes
- For 8 people
- 0.8 € / person
- 389kcal per 100g.
How to make homemade granola .
The granola is a recipe for breakfast or snack rampaging in the US. A combination of oat flakes, berries and honey that is baked until crisp.
During its elaboration process, it is stirred several times so that the flakes are released and a consistency like breakfast cereals is achieved.
To this basic mixture you can (and usually do) add other natural ingredients such as seeds, pipes, dried fruits, other cereals, fats, etc.
It seems that granola was created by an American doctor in 1863. Although it was not until a few years ago that it became a very popular food in Anglo-Saxon countries and, from there, it has spread to the rest of the world.
It is usually consumed at breakfast time, one of my favorite options for a perfect breakfast or to accompany a delicious pudding bruch .
Always bathed in milk and accompanied by a few pieces of fresh fruit (banana, kiwi, apple, blueberry, etc.) is a real delight. Another good way to eat it is to add it to the yogurt and thus give it a touch of interesting flavor.
The crispiness of the granola works very well in this case because it contrasts with the creaminess of the yogurt. If you have not tried it, you are already taking it.
The truth is that the granola is so good that it’s easy to be tempted to spend the whole day pecking at the boat. Its sweet and toasted flavor, together with the crisp that baking provides, are difficult to resist.
As it is, dry, it is slow to die, but be careful because it is a highly caloric food. Perfect for athletes because it provides a lot of energy, but if you do not fall into this category it is better that you are restrained with its consumption.
Preparing granola at home is more than simple because you just have to mix the ingredients and bake. There are many brands that market it, but where a homemade granola is, take them all away.
Making it ourselves allows us to adapt it to our tastes and control the content of fat and added sugar. In addition, it comes out much cheaper than the commercial one. All advantages. Now it only remains that you dare to do it following these guidelines and, of course, that you enjoy it.
Preparation of homemade granola
- We begin by mixing all the liquid ingredients in a deep and wide container, which is the one that we are going to use for the entire mixture, so we must take into account the size.
- First we pour the honey and add the vegetable oil, sesame oil and vanilla essence.
- Beat with metal rods or with a fork until all the ingredients are well integrated.
- Next we add the ground cinnamon and brown sugar. We beat again.
- Add the oat flakes to the bowl and with the help of your hands, clean, stir from the bottom up and mix well.
- It is important that all the oat flakes are covered with the oil mixture so that the flavor is the same in each tablespoon of granola that we eat, so this step must be done thoroughly.
- When the oatmeal is ready, we cover a baking sheet with baking paper and spread the mixture on it.
Baking the granola and final presentation
- We preheat the oven to 150ºC, with heat up and down. Put the tray in the oven in the middle position and cook for 10 minutes.
- After this time, we take the tray out of the oven. We remove so that the oats from the base rise to the surface and roast.
- We put the tray in the oven again. Cook for 10 more minutes before removing it and stirring a second time.
- On this occasion we add the hazelnuts, the pipes and the raisins.
- Bake a third and last time for another 10 minutes or as long as the oatmeal roasts without burning.
- This will depend on the oven, but be very careful because we do not want it to brown too much (because it would be bitter) or, of course, to burn us.
- When the color point is the one of our preference. We remove the tray from the oven and let it cool before transferring the granola to an airtight container.
- Homemade granola is kept in perfect condition for at least two to three weeks.
- As long as we keep it in an airtight container and away from moisture.
- You may never get to see how long it can last. Because without a doubt it is so good that you will not be able to stop eating it.
I encourage you to try doing it at home, the result is impressive. You can see all the step by step photos of this homemade granola in this album.
Tips for a homemade fluffy granola
- We can chop the hazelnuts instead of adding them whole. We can do this with a mortar or knife, being very careful not to cut ourselves (eye that slips).
- We can also use other types of nuts, such as walnuts, almonds, cashews, pine nuts, sultanas, dried apricots, etc., as well as pumpkin seeds or other seeds.
- Another change that this recipe admits is that of vegetable oil for another with a mild flavor such as sunflower oil. As long as the chosen one does not add flavor.
- For this we already have sesame oil, which provides a very tasty touch and we do not want it to be hidden by any other.
- Making granola at home is not only a considerable cost saving, but it allows us to customize it as it is very versatile.
- This recipe can serve as a base to vary and experiment. You can try to do it as is and, depending on what you think, adapt it to the taste of each one.
- The best time for a bowl of granola is breakfast, hands down. Although it is so good that it makes you want to eat it by the spoonfuls and dry stick.
- It is best to add a good splash of cold milk and accompany it with a coffee, infusion, juice or the drink that we usually drink.