- 90 minutes
- For 6 people
- 2.9 € / person
- 334kcal per 100g.
How to make black beans with butifarra .
Recently an ingredient not very common in my diet came to my house, butifarra . A product that has pleasantly surprised me with its mild flavor and the spicy touch it leaves at the end.
Not all sausages are the same: fresh sausage with young garlic, white egg sausage with potato, onion and truffle, or fresh sausage with mushrooms. The one that I liked the most the fresh sausage with blanched, of all of them I gave good account in this recipe.
I thought about taking them directly on the grill and with a good piece of bread, but they deserved more.
I had some fresh black beans and Galician potatoes from my father’s garden and voilà in the fridge , that’s how this great recipe came up. Fusion of the best of Catalan cuisine with the best vegetables in Galician cuisine.
A plate of spoon, fork and knife for a holiday or a day of newspaper, but the important thing, to enjoy with family or friends. It is not necessary that I tell you that a good wine or a very cool beer does not even look good.
Those of you who are outside of Spain can substitute them for any of their local variants: Beans, beans, beans, porotos, habas, habichuelas, fréjoles, frísoles …
I leave you with this recipe with some vegetables with a velvety texture and unctuous on the palate. An inimitable recipe after patient and loving preparation. Go for them!
Before cooking the pinto beans. Dry
- In case of deciding on dry pinto beans, the day before we put them in warm water with a teaspoon of baking soda or a handful of salt.
- We leave them to soak for 10-12 hours overnight. We should not have more than 12 hours, since after this time the legume loses qualities.
- It is important that in addition to hydrating, we wash them afterwards to remove possible impurities. Also, do not strain any damaged beans that can screw up a tooth, I say from experience.
- We will only have to drain and set aside until the time to prepare the casserole.
Before cooking the pinto beans. Fresh or preserved
- If they are fresh, as in my case, you only need to leave them to rest for an hour in a little hot water.
- This will help them cook more quickly, once that time has passed we just have to wash them and add them to the casserole with the rest of the vegetables, as I will explain below.
- If you are going to use them already cooked, wash them very well without leaving any of the gelatin that surrounds the beans and add them at the end of cooking the stew.
- Just so that they are well impregnated with the flavor of the rest of the ingredients.
- I must admit that this type of legumes already cooked and packaged in a glass jar save a lot of time in the kitchen.
Preparation of the base of the pinto beans and vegetables
- Chop the onion, red pepper and garlic cloves into small pieces so that they melt in the cooking.
- In the end we will hardly notice any texture of any of the ingredients but its flavor.
- As many people do not like to find garlic on the plate you can pour it whole and remove it halfway through cooking or crush it.
- We wash and peel the carrots, cut into thin slices, the finer the faster they will cook.
- In a large casserole, add a good squirt of aove, onions, red pepper, carrots and garlic cloves. We fry everything for 10 minutes so that the flavors mix well.
- We add the already hydrated and drained pinto beans. We also fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon quickly and put everything together (3 minutes).
- We cover with the meat or vegetable broth (important that it is cold so that it begins to boil slowly) until it is completely covered with water.
- When it begins to boil, lower the heat so that it slows down and does not break the vegetables.
- When it has been cooking for 1/2 hour we add salt and pepper to taste, removing the foam that forms on top with a slotted spoon and removing excess oils and impurities.
- In the case that they are fresh beans they would have about 15 minutes more approximately, if they are dried legumes an hour more.
- We peel the potatoes and depending on the type of legume we use. We have to add the potatoes when there are 15-20 minutes of cooking to prevent them from melting in the stew.
- Another important fact is to move the casserole to gather flavors from the middle of cooking. We should not use the spoon because we would surely break the vegetables.
Preparation of the butifarras and final presentation of the beans
- At the end of cooking, we sausage the sausages until they have a golden color and with a point of caramelization.
- In this case I used a frying pan with a few drops of extra virgin olive oil, about eight minutes over medium-low heat on each side.
- Cut into slices and put on the side of the plate where we are going to eat the beans.
- We serve in a deep plate with the beans in the middle, the potatoes and the sausage on one side. That easy!
You can see all the step by step photos of the butifarra bean recipe in this album. Do not miss any detail and it will be perfect.
Tips for some beans with yummy sausage
- You can find beans or beans as fresh, dried or already cooked and in a can, as well as various sizes.
- I like pints, although I think each type goes with a certain dish. It is not that there is an absolute truth in this matter and if one day you have to make a fabada it may even be with this type of bean, although the Asturian fabada faba better.
- I recommend using dried vegetables for convenience, as they are easy to get and store, they also allow you to control the salt point of the stew by avoiding the treatments that the packaging brings.
- In case of need or lack of time, canned beans are a good option although the final presentation will not be very good, as they tend to be skinless.
- The most important thing is that you always buy the best that you can within your possibilities, new and good quality vegetables.
- For vegetarians the recipe is the same but without meat. Of course, as an essential ingredient we can use algae, very good for the beans to have a better digestion and also cook earlier.
- If you add a handful of “empredao” style rice, they are gone.
- If you don’t have time to make them slowly (for me the best option) you can prepare them in the pressure cooker and so we shorten the cooking time to a third. To give it a more homemade touch, they can be cooked in the pressure cooker for about 12 minutes with the pot covered and about 15 minutes with the pot uncovered.
- Many of you ask me how much water or broth is necessary to cook, always think that there are three parts of water and one of vegetables. And that for each person about 100 g are necessary. of legume, so that no one is left hungry.