- 65 minutes
- For 4 people
- 5.8 € / person
- 276kcal per 100g.
How to make roast beef shank or xarrete with potatoes. When we talk about roast beef at home, we mean a star dish at any party or celebration. In Galicia or anywhere in the world it succeeds.
The roast meat in Galicia is usually prepared with products from here, a good Galician veal and those potatoes from the garden, with house patacas, which my father Jesús cultivates with such care.
The accompaniments are important, roasted potatoes are always a perfect option. But also the preparation, I advise you to be practical and help yourself with the express pot. An ally in the kitchen that will do the hardest work, although we will finish the recipe in the oven.
I assure you that no one will notice that you have not been in the kitchen for 3 hours to the chup chup. Although if you are not in a hurry, making this hock in time and to the heart of a good fire, will make the result of note.
The upper and back part of the legs is called a hock , and when the cut is made transversely including the bone, it is called ossobuco . For the recipe that we are going to prepare today we only need the meat, cut into large portions so that it retains all its flavor and juiciness.
Like all veal meat , the hock is a red meat very rich in protein with many essential amino acids, minerals (especially iron) and vitamins. Also, since it is the leg area, it contains very little fat.
This part of the veal is very common in Galician cuisine, where we call it xarrete , but it can also be found in the Andalusian stew or in the Catalan stew .
A recipe with the simplest ingredients and an express pot to reduce time as much as possible and save energy, keeping all the flavor and texture of delicious meat. And remember that these types of roasts do not lose overnight, on the contrary, there will be a tastier meat if possible.
Before you start with the roast hock. The day before
- To prepare today’s recipe we only need two good hocks from our trusted butcher or butcher (we can ask you to chop it into generous portions).
- It can also be cut at home. We break the two hocks into three pieces each. They could be cut smaller, but as the meat when cooking is reduced considerably, it is preferable not to fall short.
- Chop the garlic and parsley. We put the parsley, the garlic and a jet of extra virgin olive oil in a mortar. We mash everything very well and marinate the meat with the mash and with the help of a brush.
- We can have the meat with the marinade from the day before cooking it. Thus the meat will have a lot of flavor, although it can also be done the same day, about two hours with the marinade would be enough. We reserve the meat with the marinade in the fridge.
Preparation of the roasted hock with potatoes
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Peel the potatoes, wash them and dry them well with a cloth.
- We put three tablespoons of oil in an express pot. You can also make a casserole if you have time, but in the express pot it is done much faster and the flavors are more concentrated
- We brown the onion until it has a slightly golden color and when it is poached, remove the onion with the help of a slotted spoon.
- In the same oil we seal the pieces of jarrete until they are golden on all sides. We incorporate the onion again.
- We pour the white wine and the meat broth. If you find it very difficult to make the broth, do not stop making this recipe for it, buy a good quality meat broth and ready, without complications.
- We close the pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile we heat plenty of oil in a frying pan. We add the saffron and stir. We can even give it a touch of aromatic herbs, although that would be to taste. A way to tune the recipe to your liking.
- Add the potatoes and brown them, allowing them to take color. We salted them.
- When the meat is done we remove it and reserve. Put the potatoes in the express pot, cover and cook 5 minutes over low heat. Always from the moment the steam comes out. Enough time for them not to fall apart.
- We place the meat, the potatoes and a stream of sauce in a source.
- We preheat the oven to 200º C, 15 minutes before adding the meat and potatoes.
- Bake in the middle tray with heat up and down (with air) for 10 minutes at 180º C. We see how it browns without the meat becoming overdone. We turn off the oven and leave the door open with the meat inside, which rests 10 minutes before serving.
- We serve immediately: we place a portion of jarrete, we bathe with the sauce and we place the potatoes as a garnish.
- We can decorate with a few hours of parsley that we have previously reserved. It also does great with a little piquillo pepper and a good bread to dip the sauce that will be blessed glory.
And to enjoy a plate of always those that never tire!
Be sure to enjoy all the recipes with meat that we have on the blog. Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for roast ham with potatoes . Do not miss any detail so that it comes out perfect.