- Very easy
- 15 minutes
- For 6 people
- € 1 / person
- 65kcal per 100g.
How to prepare an authentic Andalusian gazpacho .
Today the time in Madrid has given us a little joy and I have thought about making the first gazpacho of the season.
A few drops of rain to refresh us, the first flavored tomatoes and the heats that they promise will give rise this spring and summer. Luckily with the increase in temperatures comes one of the best seasons to enjoy one of the star dishes of the summer, gazpacho .
The recipes for gazpacho are cheap, refreshing and very nutritious. A great unknown to me until about 10 years ago when I arrived in Madrid, and that is that cold soups in Galicia are not taken.
There we are more of Galician broth than Cordovan salmorejo , the classic Antequera porra , gazpachos, such as cherry or watermelon , ajoblanco , vichyssoise , tomato soups and the like.
At first I didn’t understand tomato drinking, because it wasn’t in the traditional culture they taught me at home. Now I can say that it is a fundamental dish in my daily diet and that I prepare throughout the year, not only in summer.
There are many recipes for gazpacho, as many as you cook, everyone brings their touch and adapts the ingredients to their tastes or to the season. But beyond “with a lot of garlic or with little”, the important thing is the tomato.
It is said that the best is pear, although I believe that for an unbeatable gazpacho, tomatoes must be from the garden and really . For this mixture of tomato, pepper, cucumber, garlic, bread, salt, extra virgin olive oil and vinegar, I use this recipe with these measures.
Result of the advice of an Andalusian cousin although I lower the garlic because I like it that way. Try and you will tell me your touch.
Preparation before the Andalusian gazpacho
Gazpacho is a cold soup usually served as a first course. Of very simple elaboration and to which different vegetables are added, seasoning with extra virgin olive oil, vinegar and salt.
You just have to shred and that’s it, but I’ll explain it to you in detail so you can do it at home. Surely you will repeat again, it is one of those recipes that you like.
- We clean the tomatoes well and wash all the vegetables that we are going to use. Keep in mind that it is a recipe that is not cooked, and despite acidifying it with vinegar it is very important that everything goes well clean. Cut the tomatoes into quarters and add them to a large bowl.
- Peel the cucumbers and cut off the ends. We cut them into small pieces. We will cut the peeled onion and the green pepper in the same way. We reserve
- We cut the bread into small pieces and add a little water, let it rest for about 10 minutes. This way we help the bread to soften if it is very hard and it will be much easier to beat.
- Peel the garlic clove and since we are going to use it raw, remove the center so that it does not repeat. We add it to the bowl with the tomato and the other vegetables.
Preparation of the Andalusian gazpacho
- We add the extra virgin olive oil, the sherry vinegar and the salt. We crush with the mixer until we have a liquid sauce.
- We pass this sauce through a strainer or a chino (a strainer with holes somewhat larger than metal mesh strainers).
- Thus we remove possible pieces of skin and small nuggets that have remained until we are as fine as possible. We test if it is well of salt and if we do not rectify with a little more.
- We only have to put the bowl in the fridge and let it cool, in a couple of hours you will have it very fresh and perfect to try the best cherry gazpacho .
- At the time of the presentation, it is best to put it in a deep plate or bowl and accompany it with a few slices of acorn ham (a little just will not ruin you) or a few cubes of fresh mozzarella cheese. For me, the best gazpacho is simply taken in a glass and that’s it, directly for the body. Bon Appetite.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.
Tips, curiosities and tricks to make a great gazpacho
- This cocktail of vitamins and minerals for the body is a natural source of vitamin C (mainly from the pepper). Also vitamins A and E, carbohydrates, some minerals such as phosphorus, iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium and sodium. In addition to plant fiber and antioxidant substances such as lycopene. Which is responsible for the red color of the tomato. It is purifying and diuretic and the natural qualities of the egg for our health. A large glass of gazpacho does not exceed 100 calories.
- Tomatoes must be ripe, you will notice it to the touch and for its color. It is also important that they are of quality so that your gazpacho makes a difference with that of others. Of course, do not expect a deep red gazpacho, that is impossible.
- I do not have Thermomix, they say that you get a very fine gazpacho with it. I use a blender and I assure you that it works perfectly, maybe there is no super fine cream left. Although I also like to see what it’s made of. If I see a small millimeter piece of tomato skin it doesn’t matter to me. In Andalusia 100 years ago they had no Thermomix and it was amazing, for sure.
- When I use it just to drink when I eat it, it goes with a little water and is loose. It is still soup but softer, if it is to eat my advice is that it has a certain consistency. Be careful, in a restaurant I have come across a completely watered gazpacho and that should not happen either.
- What is clear is that gazpacho with tomato could not exist before the conquest of America. From there we brought the tomato and the peppers, among other things.
Your advice on gazpacho
- Friend Sofía Acebo has sent me an email with information. I have not hesitated to share it with all of you, it is well worth it. “ In many houses, gazpacho is prepared in large quantities and placed in the fridge. It is used to accompany food, as an aperitif or to have a snack between meals. A friend from Estepona puts a fresh mint leaf on it, she says it is very refreshing. He has also told me that it is better not to put the vinegar. If you’re going to keep it in the fridge for later, it will rust and take on a metallic flavor. Better add lemon or vinegar when serving. Good gazpacho! ”
- Marisol who has a gluten allergy says that you can make a good gazpacho without the usual bread. In case you are celiac, the bread that is gluten-free, an impressive vitamin shot for celiac friends.