- 40 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.7 € / person
- 245kcal per 100g.
How to make potato burgers, peas and tofu.
The origin of the hamburger remains a mystery, both Hamburg and many locations in the United States fight for that medal.
Nowadays, in the restaurants of that German city you can still order a dish called Rundstück warm and that translates into something like “ hot round piece ”.
Perhaps there is the origin of a dish that has spread throughout the world, in the same way that the Frankfurt sausage was born in the city that gives it its name.
There is no doubt that hamburgers no longer have to be synonymous with fast food or too healthy, as happened just a few years ago.
Today you can find gourmet hamburgers made with the best meat in the most important restaurants, the kind that only need good bread to satisfy the most demanding palates.
I have done, hamburgers have become such a versatile dish that, oh surprise !, They do not even have to be meat , of course, they can be fish or, in this case, vegetables .
Today we are going to discover a vegetarian version that will delight the whole family and that is a fantastic way to eat healthy without leaving out the fun.
In addition, you can play with the other ingredients while you keep the mashed potato base , and incorporate different sauces to find new combinations.
Who said that in hamburgers everything was already said?
Preparation of vegetable burgers
- We start with the sauce: in the glass of a mixer we add the tofu, the juice of half a lemon, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and two of extra virgin olive oil.
- We chop everything together until we have a uniform sauce and with the consistency of mustard.
- Peel the potatoes and boil them for about 20 minutes in water with a pinch of salt.
- In another casserole we cook the peas. Remove from the heat, drain and reserve to cool.
- Peel and chop the onion into very small pieces.
- In a frying pan add a couple of tablespoons of oil, the sesame seeds and the cayenne. We brown it stirring and carefully so that they do not burn.
- When they are golden, add the chopped onion, stir and let it poach 3 or 4 minutes. Add the drained peas, stir everything together and let the vegetables brown.
- When the potatoes have cooled, put them in a large bowl and mash them with the help of a fork.
- Add a teaspoon of ginger and another of cumin, along with the fine cornmeal. Mix well with a silicone spatula or a wooden spoon.
- Then we add the onion with the peas, draining the oil before if necessary, add the juice from the other half of the lemon and mix very well.
- We knead with our hands until we have a ball of dough that we can handle and chop.
- We make hamburgers by taking a piece of dough and shaping it with our hands.
More Vegetable Burger Preparation
- In a frying pan with a splash of oil, grill the hamburgers, browning them first on one side and then on the other.
- We toast the bread in the same pan (without oil) and assemble: on the bread we put first a layer of sauce, then a lettuce leaf, the hamburger, a slice of tomato and finally another layer of sauce.
- We cover with the other half of bread and at the table.
You can see all the step-by-step photos of this veggie burger recipe in this album.
Tips for perfect vegetable burgers
- The bread, lettuce and tomato that we choose to accompany hamburgers is almost as important as the rest of the recipe, so we must make sure we choose them carefully.
- When making the sauce, you must adjust the ratio of oil and juice so that the consistency is ideal, not too loose to drain when plating, or so thick that we cannot spread it.
- Depending on the tofu that we have chosen, it may be necessary to add a little fine salt.