- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.8 € / person
- 272kcal per 100g.
How to make a chaufa rice .
The miscegenation between the Peruvian and Chinese Creole food .
Since many of them were small food places where products with influence from both cultures were offered.
I bring you one of the most consumed rice recipe in Peru. One of the most typical Peruvian dishes typical of Chifa cuisine , product of this crossbreeding of cultures, chaufa rice .
In the blog you will find some recipes Rice also succeed in Latin America as Chinese rice , the rice Arab Peruvian or the famous Cuban rice .
Preparation of rice
- We start cooking the rice until it is al dente, rather hard,
- This point is important since at the end of the process the rice will have a frying moment.
- We put the casserole on the fire. Add the water and the rice, all together.
When it starts to boil, leave the rice for about 4 minutes until the water evaporates.
- When we see that there are no water bubbles on the surface of the rice, we lower the heat to 3 temperature, neither to the minimum nor to the medium temperature, and cover the saucepan.
- We leave it like this for 14 minutes. Let rest. If you have doubts, be sure to watch the video that I show you below.
- My recommendation is to cook the rice without salt. Then we are going to add soy sauce that adds salt to the recipe, so that when joined with the rice it can give rise to the chaufa being salty. You have to be careful with that.
- Do not overdo the cooking of the rice, if it is overcooked, it will be too soft and will not serve for the recipe. We reserve the rice.
Preparation of the accompaniment of chaufa rice
- We wash and chop the rest of the ingredients to have them ready when adding them to the wok.
- We clean the chicken of possible remains of fat and cut it into cubes.
- We wash and chop the red pepper and the Chinese onion. Peel and grate the ginger and reserve it.
- We beat the eggs in a bowl and in a wok or, failing that, a frying pan. We heat two tablespoons of sunflower oil.
- When it is very hot we make an omelette with the eggs. We remove the omelette, chop it and reserve.
- We add two more tablespoons of sunflower oil. Once it is very hot, add the grated ginger and the chopped chicken.
- If you want to add pieces of fresh sausage it is also great. In many areas of Peru, you will find this rice with sausages .
- We fry the meat until we see that it begins to brown. We withdraw and reserve.
Final preparation and presentation of chaufa rice
- Add some more sunflower oil, if necessary, and the 2 tablespoons of sesame oil.
- When the oil is hot again. Add the chopped pepper and the Chinese onions.
- We fry over high heat, without stopping stirring, until we see that the vegetables begin to roast. It will be al dente, rather hard.
- We incorporate the chicken and rice that we have reserved and soy sauce. Without stopping stirring we cook the wok very hot so that the flavors are integrated.
- Since soy sauce includes a large amount of salt, up to this point we will not add any.
- Once the ingredients have taken the soy sauce, we test to see if it is necessary to add any more.
- We finish adding the omelette and integrating it with the rest of the ingredients. We serve the chaufa rice very hot at the moment.
It is a very complete dish that can perfectly pass as a single dish.
Perfect for lunch or even dinner. It is a classic of Peruvian cuisine that is worth preparing at home, a whole recipe for yummy.
If you still do not have it clear, I leave you a step by step in photos of this recipe for chaufa rice or fried rice so that they come out yes or yes, do not hesitate, follow these photos.
On its origin …
- In the middle of the 19th century, the arrival of the Chinese population to Peru begins. They generally came with an eight-year contract that required them to work for some great lord.
- After this period of time, they were released to have their own businesses. These businesses were the beginning of what we now call chifa cuisine.
- The origin of the name comes from Chinese and means fried rice . It is a mixture of vegetables, Chinese onions, eggs, some type of meat and rice that end up being fried.
Tips for a chubby chaufa rice
- Chinese onions are ubiquitous in every version that can be made of this dish. But of course, we will not always have a Chinese products store on hand and they may be a little difficult to find. I tell you that we can replace them with other vegetables.
- Its flavor is between chives, chives and leeks, so we can easily substitute any of these. It is a very easy to prepare and very tasty dish.
- We just have to keep in mind that the intention is to fry vegetables and rice. That is why it is important that the temperature at which we cook it is high, so that it does not stay cooked instead of fried.