For 3 € 0.60 /pers. 246 kcal/100g
- 250 g dried white beans
- 1/2 onion
- 2 small carrots
- 1 stick of celery
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 200 ml of water
- Salt and ground black pepper (to the taste of each house)
How to make a fassoulada or Greek bean soup .
Fassoulada is to Greek cuisine what fabada is to Asturian cuisine. A very traditional and tremendously popular dish, sometimes considered the national dish of the Greeks, which is made with humble but tasty ingredients.
Unlike its Asturian namesake, fassoulada is a relatively light dish and suitable for vegetarian diets . The white beans, the undisputed protagonists of the dish, are not accompanied by meat of any kind but rather various vegetables: carrots, tomatoes and celery.
The secret to this simple dish is to use good quality ingredients, thin-skinned white beans and good virgin olive oil to flavor the stew. We have both ingredients in our country, so it will be very easy for us to start cooking the fassoulada right away.
As is often the case with popular foods, there are many versions of fassoulada. You will even see other very similar soups but from different countries, this soup is very similar to the famous Tuscan soup, ribollita . We could say that each family has its own or that each teacher has his or her booklet, as the saying goes. Ours is very basic, but this is where its charm lies. Do you dare to try it?
Preparation of beans for soup
- The night before cooking, we soak the white beans in cold water so that they rehydrate and cook faster and easier.
- The next morning we remove the soaking water and rinse the white beans with clean water. We place them in a saucepan with plenty of water and put them on the heat. When the water starts to boil, lower it to low and let it cook for about 50 minutes.
- During this time it will be necessary to defoam, that is, remove the foam that will form on the surface and that carries impurities. We do it with a saucepan and being careful not to cloud the water excessively. Once the beans are cooked, drain the cooking water and set aside.
Preparation of fasso u lada or Greek bean soup
- Chop the onion and celery. In the same saucepan, rinsed and very dry, heat half the oil and sauté these vegetables over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the carrots and cut them into discs. We also wash the tomatoes, chop them and puree them with a hand blender.
- When the vegetables are poached, add the carrots and sauté them for a couple of minutes. Then we add the crushed tomato , the water and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, we add the beans and let them cook over low heat for 45 more minutes, over low heat and with a lid. For the last two or three minutes, remove the lid, raise the heat and let it cook over high heat before removing from the heat and serving.
Here you have a step by step photo of these delicious Greek fassoulada . Don’t miss any details so that it turns out delicious.
Tips for a delicious fassoulada or Greek bean soup
- It is preferable to soak the beans in cold water overnight.
- We can give a very special touch to fassoulada or Greek bean soup by adding a few sprigs of thyme, rosemary, oregano or whatever we like most to the saucepan and letting the stew soak in its aromas. We don’t need to do it throughout cooking, just a few minutes before the end will be enough.
- When serving, we will enhance its flavor if we add a splash of extra virgin olive oil and a few drops of white wine or apple vinegar.
- It is a very appropriate dish for cold days that will warm our body if we eat it very hot, although we can also eat it at other warmer times of the year because, contrary to what it may seem, it is not a heavy meal.
- When buying beans, we recommend that you do not skimp on expenses and opt for quality beans , with thin skins and buttery flesh. Dried beans are an affordable product that will not destabilize the cost of our monthly shopping basket and that we will really enjoy if we invest in it.